The Aphex A Pre 500 Microphone Preamp provides affordable access to the unmistakable 188 sound. It was inspired by the popular Aphex 188 eight-channel preamp, both using a custom designed input Transformer. The A PRE 500 adds a Jensen JT-11DL nickel output balancing transformer.
Aphex A Pre 500 Microphone Preamp Features:
Aphex A Pre 500 Microphone Preamp Applications:
- Front panel 10Mohm, 1/4 in. input for the connection of instruments like guitar and bass
- 3-way switch allows the selection of +16, +20 or +24dBu output levels
- 20-segment input meter allows input levels to be easily seen, even from a distance
- 65 dB of gain to properly operate dynamic, condenser and ribbon microphones and a 26dB pad for very loud sources
- Illuminated buttons control Phantom Power, Phase Reverse and 75Hz High Pass Filter
It's becoming more and more common for live sound engineers to use outboard mic preamps on specific sources like lead vocals, acoustic guitars, snare drums and more. Especially built for those engineers who have to use a different PA system every night at different venues. This allows them to keep a consistent sound for their featured instruments.
Professional Studio Recording-
The A PRE 500 has a very neutral, yet bright character. It sounds exceptionally good on drums and percussion, B3 Organs, electric pianos, and acoustic guitars. The 1/4 inch input makes it easy to run instruments through the mic pre without using a direct box.
The A PRE 500 is approved by the VPR Alliance.
Aphex custom CineMag transformer, instrumentation second stage
1300 ohm nominal
10M ohm nominal
>90dB @ 60Hz
+30dB to +70dB (no pad, +24 level)
Max Input Level:
-3dBu (no pad), +23dBu (pad)
2nd order, -3dB @ 75Hz
Transformer balanced, Jensen JT-11-DL
Maximum Level (Meter 0dB) :
+24/+20/+16 dBu switchable
100 ohm nominal
<0.003% @ +4dBu out