Bigsby Custom Fender B5 Vibrato Tailpiece for Flat Top Solid Guitars
Designed by Paul A. Bigsby, this Bigsby Custom Fender B5 Vibrato was made for use on flat top electric guitars. This piece of hardware allows guitarists to use their pick hand for various effects including bending the pitch of notes or entire chords. Vibrato is the correct term for the musical effect produced by this piece of hardware, but the equipment itself is more commonly known as the whammy bar or tremolo arm. Bigsby was the first successful design of the whammy bar for the practical guitar player. Spring loaded, the Bigsby arm is attached to a pivoting metal bar, which is around where the strings of the guitar are installed. When the vibrato is in neutral position, the pressure of the spring acts against the pull of the strings, producing a constant pitch when the strings are played. When pushing the vibrato arm down towards the face of the guitar, the bridge rocks forward loosening the strings to lower the pitch. This Bigsby vibrato is easy to control, and requires little force to operate. It’s ideally suited to musicians who use slow, subtle, or extended bends.
Bigsby Custom Fender B5 Vibrato Tailpiece Features
- Designed for use on flat top electric guitars
- The Bigsby vibrato tailpiece is a type of vibrato device for electric guitar designed by Paul A. Bigsby
- The top mount unit allows you to bend the pitch of notes or entire chords for various effects
- Also known as tremolo arm or whammy bar
- First successful whammy bar design