The portable Cakewalk UM-3G is a 3-In/3-Out USB MIDI Interface designed for easy connection of a
computer to multiple MIDI devices. With the capability to connect three UM-3G interfaces with only one
USB port, and independent MIDI Out/Thru Switches for each MIDI port, the UM-3G represents a perfect MIDI
solution that can grow with you as your studio or live needs expand.
CakeWalk UM-3G USB Interface Features
FPT (Fast Processing Technology)
- 3-In/3-Out MIDI Ports (female)
- Controls up to 48 channels of MIDI equipment
- Expandable design allows you to daisy-chain up to three UM-3G interfaces providing nine total MIDI
inputs and outputs without the need for additional USB Ports
- Advanced Driver mode uses FPT (Fast Processing Technology) to ensure low-latency, even with three
UM-3G interfaces daisy-chained together
- Up to 3 units can be rack mounted via Roland RAF-70 kit, available separately
- Ideal MIDI interface for the mid- to larger-sized studio
- Out or Thru selectable switches built-in; select between MIDI Out and MIDI Thru for each output port
- Great for live settings using multiple MIDI applications, including traditional instruments, synths,
sequencers and live sound, lighting, and special effects
FPT is a technology that allows for high speed, high resolution MIDI data transmission by a combination
of driver and hardware improvements to take advantage of the high-speed extensive transmission
capability of USB.
Driver tuned for FPT
The Driver for FPT-based hardware devices uses an optimal transmission method depending on the amount of
MIDI data being transmitted. The driver utilizes the bandwidth of USB effectively depending on the
amount of MIDI data being transmitted. This allows the communication to be stable and very fast.
Hardware tuned for the FPT
FPT also allows for high speed, high resolution processing through hardware using HDMR.
In addition, the UM-880 & 550 can process information for each MIDI port simultaneously for accurate
By combining these driver and hardware improvements, FPT can deliver high speed, low latency, low jitter
MIDI transmission across multiple ports, while maintaining high data resolution.
Low latency and low jitter in extensive MIDI data transmission.
When sending MIDI data to multiple sound modules, the UM-880/550 maintains accurate synchronization with
low latency and low jitter data transfer.
The most suitable for Real-time performance.
The high speed transfer capability of FPT allows for high resolution data transfer without compromising
the performer's subtle expressions even in live performance.
Works with any music application software.
Because FPT is an integration of driver and hardware technology, any application can benefit from the
full capability of FPT. In particular, FPT performs to its fullest capacity on thicker operating systems
like Windows XP/2000.