The Drum Workshop DW Moon Mic Bass Drum Microphone is an incredible mic system designed specifically for low frequency, high SPL applications such as kick drums and bass cabs! The patented curved housing and specially-selected diaphragm of the DW Moon Mic delivers a warm, accurate bass response. This revolutionary mic uses the idea of reverse wiring a studio monitor. An 8 inch diaphragm is used to pick up the sub low frequencies with amazing tone, clarity and attack.
The idea of reverse wiring a studio monitor to use a large-diaphragm mic isn’t a new idea. The reason engineers like it so much for bass drums is that it supplies great airy resonance. The Moon Mic’s patented design is housed in a sleek chromed-out housing that is as cool looking as it is acoustically beneficial. The specially-sourced speaker inside delivers what engineers have sought from the homemade models and a phase reverse switch can be engaged, if necessary. It even comes with a top-quality DW stand for mounting.
Drum Workshop DW Moon Mic Bass Drum Mic Features
8 Inch Diaphragm
- Patented Radius Housing
- Inverter Switch
- Included DW Stand and Mounting Bracket
- Perfect for Studio and Live Applications
- Excellent for Bass Drums, Floor Toms, and Bass Cabinets
- Low impedance, 250 ohms delivers a smooth signal
- No need for phantom power
- Comes with a DW mounting stand for stability, durability, and versatility
With an 8-inch diaphragm, Dynamic moving coil and a custom passive filter, the Moon Mic microphone has an excellent signal to noise ratio. The DW Moon Mic absorbs resonating true frequencies directly off the front head. The large diaphragm recovers sub low frequencies with amazing tone clarity and attack. The attack and punch can be controlled by the size of the port hole sampling.
What Is It?
The DW Moon Mic will revolutionize the way you think about Miking an acoustic drum. The Moon Mic has a very large diaphragm that encompasses a large range of vibrations directly from the resonating head.
Positioning the mic from the center of the drum (LOWS) to the rim (HIGHS) gives you control. Punch, sustain, and decay can be controlled by the distance between skin and mic. The Drum Workshop Moon Mic is designed for bass kick drums or bass instruments with high SPL (sound pressure levels).
The chrome cap has a sleek look, but also has a number of functions
- House the diaphragm.
- The microphone's curved relective surface is designed to diffuse undesirable noise by sending the sound waves in different directions. This apparatus supports the Cardioid Polar Pattern.
- Corrosive Resistant
- Five vent holes in the cap accommodates the air movement from the diaphragm.
- The Moon Mic’s interior back wall has a spherical shape. A spherical shape has only one dimension and thus having a very strong resonant frequency capability. The 8 inch dirphargm is placed at the mouth of the cavity, this works very well together. A spherical cabinet is capable of delivering an almost perfect frequency response.
The function of the Inverter Switch is to accomplish absolute polarity. Polarity effects phase by inversion of 180 degrees. This is not a phase shift but, a mirror of positive and negative thus, a high or low air pressure in time. The polarity inverter switch setting is very important to produce the highest sound pressure at the subwoofer. Example: positive pressure in = positive pressure out.
Basically, this comes in handy when using a dual mic setup on your bass drum; for example, pairing the Moon Mic with an internal May Mic, or External smaller diaphragm mic to capture additional mid and high frequencies of the beater hitting the head. If the sum of the two sounds is not sounding right, try flipping the switch.