Novation ZeRO SL MKII; Upgraded to Provide Total Control for Studio and Live Performers.
Equipped with the tools to provide a more hands-on approach to DAW users, the ZeRO SL MKII provides extra dimensions of hardware control for navigating software, mixing and controlling plug-ins. The most integrated DAW experience can be achieved with the incorporation of the most advanced control software on the market, Automap 3 PRO!
Mount the ZeRO SL MKII into a 19 inch rack or use it as a desk-top controller with the ability to set it at an angle with the included legs to provide a more comfortable vibe when performing. Quality is not just reflected in their robustness, but more importantly in the way the ZeRO SL MkII has been designed with every detail calculated to maximize workflow. The ZeRO SL MkII's visually feeds back all controller information to the user with back lit buttons and encoder LED rings, making it absolutely ideal for live performances where parameters need to be identified instantly.
Novation ZeRO SL MKII Features
- Illuminated controls provide instant visual feedback
- Giant 144-character LCD screen
- Huge array of touch-sensitive controls
- Automap 3 PRO Control Software
- MIDI control interface.
- Novation’s unique ‘speed dial’
- Assignable Crossfader
- Programmable ‘soft-feel’ drumpads
- Dedicated, yet fully-assignable transport buttons.
- USB buss powering
- Includes the Xcite+ bundle with Ableton Live 7 Lite
The difficulty with other control surfaces is knowing what is assigned to what. ZeRO SL Mk II has a giant 144-character ultra-bright LCD screen that displays all the parameter names and values for the currently selected row of controllers. All 8 faders and 16 knobs are touch sensitive, so the moment one is touched, the display shows the names and values on that row and puts brackets around the controller that is currently being touched. This enables the user to see which parameter is assigned to the controller without having to change the value, or refer to their software. ZeRO SL Mk II also has a dedicated 'Speed Dial' knob, which can be used to change the value of any parameter the cursor is positioned over without making any assignments whatsoever.
The 8 continuous rotary encoders have 11 segment LED rings around each of them, allowing encoders to behave like pots so the user can see the value before moving them. All the buttons have LEDs underneath them so users can instantly see their status without having to press them. There are 8 soft-feel drum pads which are fully assignable to any parameter with the Automap software
ZeRO SL Mk II has been designed to draw minimum current so it can be used as a USB buss-powered device, although an optional 9V DC power supply can be added for stand-alone use. As well as USB interfacing, ZeRO SL Mk II has 1 MIDI in, 1 MIDI thru and 2 MIDI outs.
The power behind the ZeRO's unique ability to map controllers at the touch of a button, is contained within the included Automap software. Automap 3 PRO enables users to map controllers with incredible speed and ease - no more digging through MIDI continuous controller numbers, the Automap server takes care of it all. Automap's GUI gives the user a visual representation of all the current mappings on screen, as well as the ability to save and manage mappings across different projects. There is also an option to only bring up the GUI when a controller on the ZeRO has been touched!
Illuminated controls provide instant visual feedback
Brightly lit LED rings around the eight smooth encoders, and backlit buttons throughout provide instant visual feedback for every physical control, further reducing reliance on the computer screen.
Giant 144-character LCD screen
Frees the artist from being chained to the computer screen, placing all the essential data right alongside the relevant controls.
Huge array of touch-sensitive controls
Full control surface supporting ultra flexible DAW control and Auto-mappable plug-in controls, 16 knobs, 8 faders and 32 assignable backlit LED buttons.
Automap 3 PRO Control Software
SL Mk II comes with Automap software which enables you to instantly map software parameters to faders, buttons, encoders and pots and other controllers.
MIDI control interface
Built in MIDI I/O Interface and comprehensive MIDI implementation provide complete control over all external hardware synths and other external MIDI devices.
Novation’s unique Speed Dial
A touch-sensitive rotary encoder that instantly takes control of whatever your mouse is focused on, providing real time access for composers and performers alike.
ZeRO SL Mk II has a fully assignable crossfader making it ideal for Live performance with programs such as Ableton.
Programmable soft-feel drumpads
Eradicates the need for a separate set of drumpad triggers, providing the ideal platform for sketching out beats or triggering samples
Dedicated, yet fully-assignable transport buttons
Control the sequencer’s start/stop/loop/record/forward/rewind actions, direct from the MIDI controller, reducing reliance on mouse and screen, or switch them out to allow use of more assignable buttons. SL Mk II recalls how these buttons were previously assigned.
USB buss powering
Provides the artist with a mobile MIDI control solution, freeing them from the confines of the studio
Includes the Xcite+ bundle
Featuring a host of royalty-free loops and samples, a full-fledged soft-synth and Ableton Live 7 Lite, providing an affordable upgrade path to Ableton Live.
What is Automap3?
Put simply, Automap is a bit of software that enables you to assign parameters in your sequencer and plug-ins with incredible speed and ease, to the buttons, knobs, faders and other controllers on your Novation SL or Nocturn.
Anyone who has used a hardware controller can testify to how time consuming and awkward this can be - searching through hundreds of MIDI continuous controller numbers and trying to match them with numbers assigned to knobs on the hardware.
Automap 3 PRO Software Features
- Intelligent control over all sequencers and VST/AU/RTAS/TDM plug-ins
Automap 3 removes the pain and time involved in assigning MIDI parameters, and all layouts are fully customizable.
- Heads-up transparent control GUI
Places a transparent control map across your computer screen - see at a glance how the parameters are automatically assigned to each of SL Mk II’s controls.
- Instant learn function
Simply click on the software parameter and touch a touch-sensitive control to assign it. Now you can re-assign every control in seconds.
- Keystroke Assignments
Automap 3 can assign almost any computer keyboard shortcuts to hardware controls. For example arrow key functions can now be assigned to hardware controls, allowing you to flick between tracks using buttons on your SL/Nocturn. You could also zoom in and out, open windows or create and jump to markers in your DAW.
- Innovative MIDI support within Automap
Name your parameters and store mappings for later use. The same heads-up display provides quick and simple assigning of regular MIDI parameters. This ensures SL MkII can also turn its hand to controlling the few software application that still rely solely on the MIDI protocol.
- Plug-in and Mixer Browser
Lets you review all open plug-ins, then quickly switch to control and one of them. Mixer MIDI maps can be created, saved and recalled via the same map browsing facility.
- Autoview Mode
Optional Autoview mode means that the GUI only becomes visible when a controller is touched, then it disappears again allowing you to get back to your DAW.
For many plug-ins, Automap enables you to simply touch the controller, click on the parameter and its assigned! Novation controllers also provide instant and comprehensive control over all major sequencers - Automap even allows you to instantly assign almost any QWERTY or ASCII keyboard shortcut to buttons and other controllers on the hardware: So you can open and close windows, jump to locators in your DAW and make edits without touching the mouse or keyboard!
Remembering which parameters are assigned to which controllers is a problem of the past. As soon as a controller is touched, all your mappings are shown on the computer screen via Automap's GUI, as well as the LCD screen of the SL. You can also manage all your mappings from the on-screen GUI; rename them, swap them around by dragging and dropping, or even change the resolution of each control. If the GUI starts to clutter up your screen, you can turn on the Autoview
function which only brings it up on the screen when a controller is touched, then hides it again after the controller is released.
Ableton and ZeRO SL Mk II
When we launched the ReMOTE 0SL, it quickly became clear that it was a favorite amongst Ableton users. Professionals who use Ableton (from performers to Ableton Certified Trainers) were keen to tell us how well matched they were. So, when designing the ZeRO SL Mk II, our developers thought carefully about how they could optimize it for use with "Live", whilst maintaining its versatility across other DAW's (such as Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase etc).
- We've stretched the Faders from 45mm to 60mm for more precise mixer control
- It now has a crossfader, ideal live performance situations
- 32 bright user LED buttons which can easily be assigned to trigger clips
- Soft touch velocity sensitive drum pads for sketching out drum patterns
- Large LCD screen displays the names and values of all parameters on the currently selected row
- LED ringed continuous rotary encoders
- Eight touch sensitive pots
- Speed Dial allows you to quickly get hands on control of any parameter displayed on screen, just by hovering the cursor over it - for quick access during live performances
- Small footprint which fits snugly behind a QWERTY/ASCII keyboard, with legs that raise and tilt it for live use
- USB bus-powered, meaning no bulky wallwart PSUs taking up precious power sockets
ReMOTE ZeRO SL vs ZeRO SL Mk II
- All SL Mk II's come with a dedicated Ableton Mode which was designed in collaboration with Ableton.
- Extensive control of Ableton's own devices as well as VST and AU plug-ins.
- It only requires a very simple set-up in Ableton's preferences window.
- The ZeRO's Automap 3 PRO software can instantly map QWERTY/ASCII key-commands to controls on the ZeRO, as well as the other benefits of Automap3 (click here to see what else Automap can do)
- Full transport controls - which can be reassigned to other parameters (along with the other 26 buttons) in Automap mode if required.
- Mk II ships with the latest Automap 3 PRO
- All dials and faders are now touch-sensitive
- All ZeRO SL Mk II’s buttons are illuminated
- Mk II features a single LED screen (as it now features the Automap Heads-up GUI)
- SL ZeRO MKII’s top row of dials have 11-LED rings for instant feedback
- Top row of encoders are now smooth continuous rotary encoders, and the bottom row are pots with 270 rotation
- ZeRO SL Mk II’s transport control buttons can also be used as fully assignable buttons
- There is now a crossfader on the ZeRO SL Mk II
- ZeRO SL Mk II features new ‘soft-feel’ drum pads
- No longer features batteries
- Xcite+ bundle ships free with SL Mk II and consists of the following:
- Ableton Live 7 Lite software (DAW)
- 502MB of Mike the drummer drum loops - Quality live drum loops
- Novation Bass-station synth
- Loopmasters Samples library consisting of 1GB of royalty free samples