The Skunk Baxter Firebird by Gibson USA is built in the tradition of the original reverse-body Firebird, with its distinctive looks and multi-piece neck-through-body construction for superior strength and sustain. A radically new set of Firebird Mini-humbuckers retain the sweet, dynamic tone similar to that of Gibson’s original ’57 humbuckers. Route three of these powerful pickups through independent on/off and full/split-coil switching for an insane number of variations and combinations, and this is the most sonically versatile Firebird yet!
The high-quality Tune-o-matic bridge, Lyre vibrato tailpiece, and Steinberger gearless tuners deliver consistent performance on stage or in the studio—and when it comes to looks, the high-gloss Copper Metallic finish, black plastics, white fingerboard binding, and pearloid block inlays make the Skunk Baxter Firebird a visual treat. Don’t miss out: experience this fabulous Firebird today at your authorized Gibson USA dealer.
Gibson Skunk Baxter Firebird Guitar Features
- High-gloss Copper Metallic finish, black plastics, white fingerboard binding, and pearloid block inlays
- Nine-ply mahogany and walnut through-neck construction
- Two mahogany ‘wings’ complete the original ‘reverse-body’ styling
- Three new pickups with black chrome covers designed by Skunk Baxter and Jim DeCola, the hottest Mini-humbuckers Gibson has ever produced
- High-quality Steinberger gearless tuners provide efficient and accurate tuning
- Slim Firebird neck that's fast and comfortable
- Bound rosewood fingerboard that's highlighted by ‘Custom’ style block inlays
- Comes protected in a black Gibson hardshell case with Gibson logo
With one of the most jaw-dropping resumes in music, Skunk Baxter has come to know a thing or two about tone. After playing bass in Jimi Hendrix’s pre-Experience band, Baxter became a founding member of Steely Dan, then joined hit-makers the Doobie Brothers in 1974. As a studio musician for over 50 years, he worked extensively with Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, Donna Summer, Ringo Starr, Dolly Parton and many others. His go-to guitar? A Gibson Firebird, naturally—and with that kind of background, you just know that his Firebird is going to be something special.