The Dual Channel Joemeek TwinQ2 Microphone Preamp Channel Strip adds impressive updates to the already popular TwinQ mic pre. Innovative added features include the IRON switch now optionally sends the Line input through the transformer, usability of mic inputs up to +4dBu, and an updated gain range from -19dB to +22dB.
The Joemeek TwinQ2 Microphone Preamp Channel Strip starts with high quality Burr-Brown IC's for the preamp, added an extremely musical EQ section and an optical compressor for that signature Meek sound. All of this comes housed in a rugged 2u chassis with a beautifully sculpted aluminum faceplate.
Joemeek TwinQ2 Microphone Preamp Channel Strip Features
What’s in the TwinQ2 that wasn’t in the Original TwinQ?
- Ultra Clean Microphone Preamplifier with Top Quality Cinemag Microphone Transformer
- Highly Musical Three Band EQ with LF and MF Sweep, selectable HF (6k and 12k)
- Full Featured Optical Compressor with Compressor Link for Stereo Applications
- Large Accurate VU Metering for Quick Monitoring of Level and Gain
- IRON switch sends Line input through the mic transformer to add coloration
- Front Panel Instrument Input to use as a DI during sessions
- Balanced and Unbalanced I/O for proper interface with any system
- 24-bit 96k AD Converters with AES/EBU, S/PDIF, Optical and Word Clock
- Convenient 2U chassis design
- The microphone input transformer is permanently assigned to the Mic Input
- The IRON switch now optionally sends the Line input through the transformer, to add some coloration to Line sources.
- The input GAIN control operates over the range 18dB to 60dB, with improved resolution in the crucial 25dB-45dB range.
- Microphone inputs up to +4dBu can be accommodated without distortion (+24dBu by using the PAD switch).
- With the LINE input selected the gain is unity (0dB) at the top of the dial
- The gain range is now -19dB to +22dB
- The "INSTRument" input now has a gain range of 0dB to +40dB
- PEAK LEDs now light at +16dBu (2dB below Full Scale Digital)
The Joemeek Digital Audio Interface provides high quality digital audio outputs plus the ability to synchronize to an external word clock. The digital audio outputs are compatible with most digital recorders, as well as Digital Audio Workstations and mixers. S/PDIF format is available from the RCA phono connectors, while the transformer coupled XLR connector provides an AES3 compatible output.
The Joemeek Digital Interface has highly stable onboard master clocks for low-jitter, hi-fi results. Internal sample rates of 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz or 96kHz are selected by means of rear panel switches. 44.1kHz is the standard used for audio CD's, while 48kHz and 96kHz are widely used in recording studios. In general, the higher the sample rate, the better the audio fidelity, but the more disk space is required for the recording. For example, recording at 96kHz requires twice as much storage as 48kHz. Consult the manual of your recorder or DAW as to what sample rates it will accommodate.
Alternatively the twinq2 may be set to the frequency of an external master word clock, generated, for example, by the studio's recorder or DAW. When connected to the BNC socket provided, a suitable external word clock will be detected automatically and will override the twinq2's internal word clock.
The front panel LED labelled 'EXT CLK' illuminates when the twinq2 is successfully locked to an external word clock. To avoid distortion, care should be taken not to overdrive the input to the Digital Interface. The red LED next to the Output Gain control is labeled "PEAK FSD" which stands for "Full Scale Digital". Occasional flashes are OK but if it is on all the time, turn something down!