The M3 Workstation from Korg features a number of innovations distilled from the flagship OASYS including the new EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis) sound generator (derived from the HD-1 engine design), advanced second-generation KARMA functionality, and a multi-purpose control surface. Adding innovations such as the new concept of virtualized hardware, allowing an even closer integration with DAW systems and Drum Tracks which provide a instant groove to play along with. Also, the Korg Komponent System facilitates a more flexible system construction. The M3 music workstation/sampler opens a new and exciting page in music making. The Korg M3 is the workstation that rightfully deserves to wear the “M” that started it all.
Enhanced Definition Synthesis - a new horizon of sound-making potential
The M3 features a newly developed “EDS” sound generating system based on a new chip design that was developed in parallel with the HD-1 engine from the flagship OASYS. It takes full advantage of the M3’s 256 Mbytes of PCM source material which is a veritable “best of” from the OASYS. Using Korg’s advanced voicing technology, the 1,028 multisamples, 1,606 drum samples, dual oscillators, four-level velocity switching/crossfading/layering, and stereo sampling allow for an enormous range of high-quality, detailed, and expressive sounds. The filter section, a vital part of the sound-creation process, lets you simultaneously use two resonant filters for each oscillator, and can be configured in series or parallel. Four filter types are provided: low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and band-reject. The amp section features a driver circuit that gives the sound a sense of edge and character, along with low boost to help shake the walls when needed. Integrated 3-band EQ allows tonal sculpting without needing to go to the effects section. Detailed envelope generators, abundant modulation routings, plus the all-new AMS Mixers for advanced processing all combine to provide a level of sound shaping far beyond previous possibilities.
Korg M3 Features
- The 120 voice M3 utilizes a new sound chip designed in parallel with the software that became the HD-1 in the flagship OASYS. This new synthesis system, EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis) shares much of the OASYS lineage – low-aliasing oscillators with up to four stereo samples per, a powerful new filter topology, detailed envelope generators, a Drive parameter for analog warmth and grit, and AMS Mixers for advanced modulation.
- 256 MB of ROM with 1,028 multisamples and 1,606 drumsamples incorporate the “best-of” from the OASYS ROM complied into a new soundset.
- 512 expressive Programs and 384 Combinations are onboard, with space for a total of 1,664 Programs and 1,792 Combinations.
- For more synth power, the EXB-RADIAS expansion board is a 24-voice, single timbre version of the MMT synthesizer that fuels both the RADIAS and R3 synths. 128 great new Programs marry that engine to the many features found only in the M3.
- All the second-generation KARMA functions (as featured in the OASYS), are included. KARMA, a real-time phrase generator, can help users play everything from natural instrument gestures, to complex cascades of notes, dance-riffs, gated and chopping effects and more.
- Controllers include the classic Korg joystick, dual switches, a ribbon, and multiple pedal inputs. The color TouchView display also doubles as an X/Y pad for controlling synthesis and effects parameters, changing colors in response to your movements.
- The M3 features the same type of multi-mode real-time control surface as first featured on the OASYS – eight sliders and switches with powerful functionality giving you total control over tweaking internal sounds, mixing tracks, interacting with KARMA, controlling external hardware, and more.
- Eight great-feeling velocity-sensitive pads can be used to trigger notes, chords, even controller messages for use with KARMA or your own live performance and sequencing needs. You can store up to eight-notes per pad, retaining all the feel and nuance of your chord voicing, and play them back exactly as entered, or with full velocity scaling.
- All-new Drum Track feature provides user-programmable drum grooves for playing along with in both Program and Combi modes, integrating with KARMA, or used as the foundation for new songs.
- A new high-resolution sequencer engine offers a professional 480 PPQ for the most natural feel. It includes Korg innovations like One-Touch Record, Song Templates, RPPR, Cue List and Tone Adjust part editing.
- The Open Sampling System allows sampling and resampling in every mode, with 64 MB of RAM standard, expandable to 320 MB with the optional EXB-M256 board. WAV, AIFF, Akai and SoundFont 2.0 compatible.
- Bundled Editor/Librarian software uses USB MIDI for convenient computer connectivity. This software works in stand-alone mode or as a plug-in within host software.
- The EXB-Firewire option enables the M3 to interface both audio and MIDI with a computer using a single Firewire cable. The M3 shows up as a plug-in with complete control and interactive operations.
Korg M3 Music Workstation / Sampler Specifications
- 256 Mbyte, 1,028 Multisamples, 1,606 Drum Samples Sampling:
- 16-bit, linear, 48 kHz mono/stereo sampling, resampling available (Open Sampling System)
- 64 Mbyte memory standard (expandable up to 320 Mbyte with EXB-M256 option)
- 1,000 Multisamples, 4,000 Samples, 128 indexes per sample
- supports Korg format, AIFF, WAV, AKAI S1000/S3000 (advanced Program conversion), SoundFont 2.0 reading
- 120 voices, 120 oscillators in Single Mode / 60 voices, 120 oscillators in Double Mode
- 5 Insert Effects (stereo in/out), 2 Master Effects (stereo in/out), 1 Total Effect (stereo in/out) are available simultaneously
- 2 effect control busses, 2 effect common LFOs
- 170 types (can be used for Insert/Master/Total)
- Programs: 1,664 user locations, 640 preloaded (512 EDS+128 RADIAS) (with EXB-RADIAS option installed)
- Combinations: 1,792 user locations, 384 preloaded
- Drumkits: 144 user locations, 32 preloaded
- GM: 256 GM2 programs, 9 GM2 drum kits
- 16-track MIDI sequencer with 480 ppq resolution
- Approx. 150 preset patterns, 100 user patterns (per Song)
- 128 Songs, 20 Cue Lists, 210,000 notes (max)
- Standard MIDI File (SMF) format 0 and 1 available
RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play/Recording)
- a set of patterns available per Song, 150 preset patterns (same presets as in sequencer)
- one KARMA module available in Program Mode, four KARMA modules available in Combination and Sequencer Mode
- Over 2,000 preset GEs (Generated Effect)
- 8 scenes, 8 sliders, 8 switches
- KARMA Wave Sequence, Freeze Randomize, Time Signature Control, Auto RTC (Realtime Control) Setup
- Control Surface (8 sliders, 8 switches), [KARMA ON/OFF], [KARMA LATCH], [CHORD ASSIGN], [DRUM TRACK ON/OFF], [PAD MODE], [KARMA MODULE CONTROL]
- X-Y Control (Display)
- 8 Pads
- 320 x 240 dot color TouchView™ GUI
- Damper Pedal (half damper pedaling supported), Assignable Switch, Assignable Pedal
- L/MONO, R, INDIVIDUAL-1, 2, 3, 4, S/P DIF (optical 24-bit, 48 kHz), Headphones
- 1, 2 (level switch (MIC/LINE), level knob), S/P DIF (optical 24-bit, 48 kHz)
- 2 USB type A connectors(for storage devices), USB type B connector (for MIDI interface, USB 2.0 supported), 2 FireWire ports (when EXB-FW (separately sold option) installed), TO KYBD (for connection to keyboard assembly unit)
- AC cord, CD-ROM (M3 Editor stand alone and plug-in versions)
System Requirements for computer use
- Microsoft Windows XP Home/Professional Edition Service Pack 2 or later, computer supports Windows XP with USB port (Intel USB Host Controller recommended)
- Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later, Apple Macintosh with USB ports supports Mac OS X 10.3.9 (PowerPC/Intel-based supported)
System Requirements for M3 Editor
- Windows XP Home/ Professional Edition Service Pack 2 or later, Intel Pentium III/1 GHz or faster, 512 Mbyte or larger memory (1 Gbyte or larger recommended)
- Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later, G4/800 MHz or faster (Intel-based Mac supported, G5 and/or Core Duo recommended), 512 Mbyte or larger memory (1 Gbyte or larger recommended)
- Supported Formats: VST, RTAS, Audio Units (Mac only)
*Mac, Mac logo and FireWire, FireWire logo are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
*Windows XP and Windows VISTA are registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
*VST and ASIO are trademarks of Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH.
*The Audio Units logo and the Audio Units symbol are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
*RTAS is a trademark or registered trademark of Avid Technology, Inc., or its subsidiaries or divisions.
*KARMA (Kay Algorithmic Realtime Music Architecture) is a trademark representing patented technology licensed from Stephen Kay, Karma Lab LLC, www.karma-lab.com
*Sounds processed with INFINITY software.