With the largest palette of cutting-edge sounds of any Wavedrum to date, the Korg Wavedrum Global Edition Synthesizer Percussion Pad is for the performer who needs an instrument that can handle anything! The Global Edition offers sought-after percussion sounds from around the world, a major boost in the quality of each sound, and dramatic improvements in usability. Korg gives this Wavedrum a pressure sensor and multiple pickups to capture the subtle nuances of your strikes on the head and rim.
Korg Wavedrum Global Edition Synth Percussion Pad Features
Revolutionary Synth Technology
- 2nd Generation Dynamic Percussion Synthesizer that provides unparalleled musical expression
- A sound engine that combines DSP-powered algorithms with PCM sounds to allow versatile and highly flexible performances
- A pressure sensor and multiple pickups capture the subtle nuances of your strikes on the head and rim, generating expressive power and new sounds
- Increased pickup precision provides improved dynamic range for low and high pitches, as well as enhanced response for soft sounds, making the instrument more sensitive
- Play different sounds from the head and rim, or apply pressure effects on the head to create performance techniques that are possible only on the Wavedrum
- 200 preset programs cover a vast range of sounds from classic percussion to unique and novel sounds
- 200 user programs are available for storing customized sounds and settings
- A new input sensitivity parameter has been added, supporting a wide range of users from beginners to pros
- Fundamental sounds such as acoustic instruments have been enhanced
- Live Mode stores up to 12 settings (4 favorite programs x 3 Banks) for instant recall
- Compact and light-weight design; use as an individual instrument, or mixed in with a traditional drum kit or any performance/percussion rig
- 140 loop phrases of various genres allow Wavedrum users to jam along or practice to them
- AUX input allows monitoring or mixing of any audio source–CD, MP3, even a second Wavedrum
The sound of the player's strike is sensed by separate pickups for the head and the rim, and used directly as the sound source that drives the DSP-powered algorithm and PCM sound engine. In combination with this, the pressure sensor in the head allows the Korg Wavedrum Global Edition to detect and respond to subtle movements of the player's fingers or palm which can be used to strike, rub, or scratch the head, as well as use techniques such as open shots, slap shots, heel and toe, and mute.
Tonal differences produced by using a stick, mallet, or brush, plus changes resulting from different striking locations are also faithfully reproduced, giving the musician a high degree of expressive power and a broad dynamic range that rivals that of an acoustic drum or percussion instrument. This means that percussionists can bring a substantial arsenal of sounds anywhere without the sacrificing the real feel or sonic quality that they require for their performance.
Innovative technology combines DSP synthesis and PCM samples
The Wavedrum Global Edition contains 60 DSP algorithms, which enable a variety of synthesis methods––analog, additive, non-linear, physical modeling, etc. Working with these algorithms, you can create various instrument sounds, natural sounds, or purely synthetic sounds – in addition to the Wavedrum’s own unique sounds.
Certain DSP algorithms allow you to assign a different DSP method and PCM instrument to the head and to the rim. In other algorithms, the velocity and tone of the strike are used to control the PCM sound, delivering a playing experience rivaling that of an acoustic instrument. The PCM sound engine – the other important part of the Wavedrum Global Edition’s sound creation system – contains 400 PCM sounds: 200 for the head, and 200 for the rim.
Percussion Sounds From Around the World
In addition to conventional drum sounds such as snares and toms, popular percussion instruments such as cajon, djembe, conga, and tabla, as well as metallic percussion such as cowbell and triangle, the Korg Wavedrum Global Edition also provides exotic ethnic instruments and percussion sounds from all over the world, both ancient and modern.
The Wavedrum Global Edition allows you to instantly experience The udu, a clay pot percussion instrument; the jegog, a bamboo marimba from the island of Bali; the talking drum of Africa; Arabic percussion such as the darbuka and daf; plus gongs that would require massive setups. There's also a selection of stringed instruments such as sitar, koto, and berimbau.
Sounds that feature a dramatic leap in quality and variation
The Wavedrum Global Edition places its main emphasis on strengthened acoustic instruments such as snare, djembe, and conga. This pursuit of realism has given the sounds even greater practicality. The Wavedrum Global Edition lives up to its name by also providing a rich assortment of Latin American and African instruments, such as the balafon, shekere, and dundunba as well as the Japanese taiko drum. Korg also added sounds for electronic dance music styles such as dubstep and moombahton.
You can make the pitch change randomly each time you strike it, or even specify a scale and play a phrase. Applying pressure to the head is an expressive technique that's possible only on the Wavedrum Global Edition. After striking the head with your hand or a mallet, you can apply additional pressure to control the pitch or timbre of the decay, or produce sustained sounds simply by pressing down on the head.
Save your own original sounds
In addition to making changes to pitch, decay time, loudness, reverb, delay, and curve (intensity) of the pressure sensor, etc., you can completely alter the sound by, for example, changing the head material parameter from skin to metal. The combination of DSP and PCM sounds can also be changed to create totally new sounds from scratch that can be saved in one of the 200 available user programs.
The Wavedrum Global Edition provides a new parameter that adjusts the input sensitivity. This makes the Korg Wavedrum's full potential available to everyone from beginners who are not yet able to produce strong strikes, to professionals who can command a broad range of dynamics.
These new programs (up to 200) can be stored in the user area. The Wavedrum Global Edition also has a Live Mode which can store up to 12 favorite programs (from preset or user programs) for selecting programs instantly during live performances.
Included are 140 loop phrases from various musical genres you can use during practice. Or use the AUX input to mix in the signal from any audio source – CD, MP3 player, or even an additional Wavedrum for double conga-style setups. Using the headphone output allows you to practice in private, anytime, anyplace – without worrying about the neighbors!
Ready, Set, Go
Place the Wavedrum Global Edition on an ordinary snare drum stand, or add it to any electronic or acoustic drum kit. Use it as part of a DJ set-up or to add a percussive element to your keyboard rig. With the optional high stand (Percussion Stand ST-WD), the Wavedrum Global Edition is the ideal accent for any vocalist or front person.