With four high quality mic inputs and hands-on mixing, the MOTU 4pre USB/Firewire Audio Interface is perfect for any live-recording environment from the studio to the stage! MOTU’s Hybrid interface technology allows the 4pre to connect to any Mac or PC via FireWire or high-speed USB 2.0. Connect your mic, guitar, keyboard, and digital input, and you are ready to make pro-quality recordings right away!
MOTU 4pre USB/Firewire Audio Interface Features
Four mic inputs with individual preamps
- 6 x 8 audio interface for Mac and Windows
- All channels are available simultaneously and operate independently
- Connects to your Mac or PC via either bus-powered Firewire or hi-speed USB2
- 8-bus digital mixer
- Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF digital input and output
- Two headphone outputs
- Supports standard sample rates up to 96 kHz
- Each input has its own dedicated volume knob. Control multiple mixes with clear feedback from front panel LEDs and metering
- Front-panel volume control of main outs and headphone jack
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire or USB2
- Compatible with all current and recent generation Macs and PCs
- Native 32- and 64-bit drivers for Mac OS X and Windows 8/7/Vista
- Includes ASIO, WDM, Wave, Core Audio, and Core MIDI drives. Supports all popular Mac and Windows audio software
- 100 percent compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs
- Includes AudioDesk workstation software for the Mac with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing and sample-accurate sync
- No need for external power when operating as a FireWire interface connected to a computer
- A power supply is included for stand-alone or USB2 operation
The compact 4pre interface’s combo mic/guitar inputs are equipped with pristine, transparent preamps and offer individually adjustable 48V phantom power and -20 dB pad. All settings can be adjusted directly on the front panel, or from the 4pre's CueMix software running on your computer. Mic inputs can be operated individually or in stereo pairs, as needed.
Two guitar inputs
The MOTU 4pre's two guitar jacks provide high-impedance load characteristics suitable for passive and active pickups alike, to deliver proper guitar tone to your host software. For even more authentic feel and response when using virtual guitar amp and cabinet plug-ins, use a ZBox guitar impedance adapter.
Main outs and line outs
Connect a pair of powered studio monitors to the main outs of the 4pre audio interface. The separate line outs can be used for a variety of purposes, either mirroring the main outs or acting as a completely independent output pair.
Two headphone jacks
A second phone jack can be life-saver when you need to finish the mix with your colleague in close proximity to family or neighbors you don't want to disturb. The left-hand phone jack always mirrors the main outs, and the ‘Main’ volume knob controls both. The right-hand phone jack has added flexibility: it can mirror the main outs, with independent volume control, or it can mirror any other 4pre output pair.
Digital transfers are an essential fact of daily studio life. The 4pre's standard S/PDIF input and output make stereo digital transfers a snap, with optional external clocking and support for sample rates up to 96 kHz.
Digitally controlled analog trim
The MOTU 4pre’s preamps deliver clean sound, 60 dB of gain, and adjustments in approximately 1 dB increments using the front-panel trims or the on-screen CueMix software. The gain adjustment itself is smooth because it is analog, but the digital control gives you both precision and the ability to save and recall trim settings. So you get the best of both worlds: analog trim with digital precision and control.
Mixing made simple
Quickly balance the levels of mics, guitars, a keyboard, or other inputs right from the front panel. Each input has its own volume control. Route inputs directly to any output pair, each with its own unique mix: main outs, line outs, S/PDIF out, and phones.
Studio grade sound
The 4pre audio interface has been engineered with MOTU’s renowned, award-winning audio interface technology, which delivers the pristine audio quality and rock-solid performance that MOTU interfaces are known for worldwide. You can always record and mix with confidence, knowing that decades of engineering experience are behind you, every step of the way.
Rack mounting brackets
The 4pre can be joined with another MOTU half-rack interface (MIDI or audio) and together they can be mounted in a standard 19-inch equipment rack, or you can mount them on rack rails with other MOTU gear for convenient desktop operation, as shown here. Use the included brackets and hex bolts to join the 4pre with another MOTU interface, such as the micro lite MIDI interface shown here (or a second 4pre), to mount them in a standard 19-inch equipment rack.
CueMix FX Software
The included CueMix FX software for Mac OS X and Windows gives you graphic, on-screen control of the 4pre's on-board audio mixer, with up to four separate stereo mixes. For example, you can mix all the inputs to the main outs, but also mix them to the line outs with completely different levels than the main outs. Advanced features include a tuner, oscilloscope, FFT/spectrogram, and phase analysis tools.
The 4pre audio interface includes AudioDesk, the workstation software for Mac OS X, which provides advanced recording, editing, mixing, processing, and mastering. AudioDesk delivers the power of modern digital audio workstation technology in an easy-to-use, inspiring multitrack recording experience. Together, AudioDesk and the 4pre transform your computer desktop into a complete, professional recording studio.