MOTU 828MKII USB 2.0 Audio Interface
The 828mkII USB contains everything you need to turn your Mac or PC computer into a powerful 24-bit, 96kHz digital audio workstation.
With simple plug-and-play operation via high-speed USB 2.0, the 828mkII provides 20 inputs and 22 outputs, including 10 channels of pristine 96kHz analog recording and playback, combined with 8 channels of ADAT digital I/O and stereo S/PDIF. Expand your system by connecting additional interfaces.
The 828mkII is equally well-suited for studio and stage, with or without a computer. As a computer interface, the 828mkII provides 20 separate inputs and 22 outputs, including separate main outs and headphone out. The two mic/guitar/instrument inputs feature analog, pre-amplified sends which allow you to insert your favorite outboard EQ, compressor, guitar amp, reverb or other effects processor before the signal goes digital. Use any input as a return.
You can add additional send/return loops using the 828mkII’s new CueMix DSP on-board mixing feature, a flexible DSP-driven 20-input/8-bus mixing and monitoring matrix that eliminates the need for an external mixer or patchbay. Connect all of your studio gear, including microphones, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors. Then monitor all of these live inputs via the 828mkII’s main outs, headphone jack or any other output — with virtually no monitoring latency and no processor drain on your computer. You can even create separate monitor mixes for the main outs, headphones and other outputs. Control everything from the included CueMix Console software or directly from the 828mkII’s front-panel.
Need to hit the road? The 828mkII operates as a stand-alone mixer, with no computer required. Need to tweak your mix? Do it on the spot with the 828mII’s backlit LCD and front-panel controls. Every 828mkII setting can be accessed from the front panel.
Back in the studio, 8 channels of ADAT optical digital I/O, plus stereo S/PDIF, make the 828mkII an ideal companion for a digital mixer. All digital I/O connections support standard sample rates up to 96kHz.
The 828mkII includes 16-channels of MIDI input and output via its FireWire or hi-speed USB 2.0 connection to the computer. Simply plug in your FireWire or USB cable, and both MIDI and audio are ready to go. Connect any MIDI device, such as a controller keyboard, synth module, automated control surface or drum machine. Timing is sample-accurate with supporting software.
Two different models of the 828mkII are now available: FireWire and high-speed USB 2.0. They are identical, except for their connection to the computer. Either model can be connected to any FireWire- or USB 2.0-equipped Mac or PC. The 828mkII provides cross-platform compatibility with Mac OS X (version 10.2 or later), Windows XP and all of your favorite audio software and host-based effects via WDM/ASIO/GSIF/Core Audio drivers. Or you can use the included AudioDesk workstation software for Macintosh, with 24-bit recording/editing and 32-bit mixing/processing/mastering.
MOTU 828mkII Features
MOTU 828mkII Inputs and Outputs
- CueMix DSP near-zero monitoring system.
- Front-panel control - access your entire mix, or any 828mkII setting, directly from the front panel.
- Stand-alone operation - program your mixes at the studio and then bring the 828mkII to your gig - no computer needed. Need to tweak the mix? Do it on site using the back-lit LCD and front-panel controls.
- Multiple CueMix DSP mixes - create different monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones. Add send/return loops for outboard gear - with no latency.
- Two mic pre-amps with switchable 48-volt phantom power, front-panel trim controls and pre-amplified sends.
- Mic/guitar instrument sends - add your favorite outboard EQ, preamp, reverb or other processor to the two mic/guitar inputs, before the signal goes digital.
- 20 inputs / 22 outputs - there's no channel sharing in the 828mkII; the mic inputs, S/PDIF I/O, headphone out and main outs are all handled as separate channels.
- 8 channels of 24-bit ADAT optical input/output. Eight channels at 44.1/48kHz. Four channels at 88.2/96kHz.
- Sample-accurate digital transfers between ADAT digital tape decks and the computer via the ADAT sync port.
- Sample-accurate MIDI - connect a MIDI controller and/or sound module with no separate interface needed. MIDI I/O is sample-accurate with supporting software.
- Expandable - add additional interfaces for more I/O as your needs grow.
- Eight 24-bit 96kHz analog inputs and outputs on balanced/unbalanced 1/4 inch TRS jacks
- Separate TRS main outs and front-panel headphone jack, each with independent volume control.
- Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF in/out
- Word clock in and out
- SMPTE in and out
- Includes drivers for Mac & PC, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, GSIF, Core Audio, and Core MIDI. Supports all popular Macintosh and Windows audio software.
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs.
- Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for the Macintosh with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing & sample-accurate sync.
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire or high-speed USB 2.0.
- Front panel volume control for main outputs.
- Front panel headphone jack with independent volume control.
- Front panel meters for all analog, digital and MIDI I/O, plus SMPTE sync tach and lock LEDs.
- Dedicated front panel clock status LEDs.
All inputs and outputs are discrete. In other words, using a mic-preamp input does not steal
an input from the TRS analog I/O bank, and the headphones and main outputs are available as separate mix destinations. They do not mirror
another output. CueMix DSP, however, can be configured to mirror an existing mix bus to the headphones.
- Analog 24-bit 96kHz on +4/-10 TRS: 8 inputs, 8 outputs
- 2 Mic Preamps: 24-bit 96-kHz on XLR/TRS Combo
- Main Outputs 24-bit 96kHz on TRS: Stereo
- Headphone Output: Stereo
- ADAT Optical (digital): 8 Inputs, 8 Outputs
- S/PDIF 24-bit 96-kHz (digital): Stereo Input, Stereo Output
- Total: 20 Inputs; 22 Outputs
* 4 channels at 88.2 / 96kHz - can also be configured as stereo toslink s/pdif
MOTU 828mkII MIDI
The 828mkII includes a 16-channel MIDI interface that provides sample-accurate timing with supporting software. Connect a MIDI keyboard, sound module or control surface, and you are ready to go. The FireWire or USB cable carries both MIDI and audio so you don't need to connect an additional USB cable for MIDI.
MOTU 828mkII CueMix DSP
The 828mkII provides DSP-driven digital mixing and monitoring for all 20 inputs. You can connect mics, guitars, synths and effects processors, and monitor everything from the 828mkII’s main outs or headphone jack with no separate mixer needed and no latency.
The 828mkII supports up to four separate stereo monitor mixes assigned to any four digital or analog output pairs. For example, you could set up separate monitor mixes for the main outs and headphone outs, while two additional stereo buses could be used for send/return loops to reverb units or other outboard gear. Each mix can support all 20 inputs (8 TRS analog, 2 mic, 8 ADAT optical digital and stereo SPDIF digital).
A new CueMix Bounce Back
feature lets you route one of the four CueMix DSP mixes back to the computer. This allows you to record, for example, your entire mix - including monitored inputs - back into the computer.
TalkbackCueMix Console provides Talkback and Listenback buttons. Talkback allows an engineer in the control room to temporarily dim all audio and talk to musicians in the live room. Conversely, Listenback allows musicians to talk to the control room. For Talkback, you can set up a dedicated mic in your control room and connect it to a mic input on your 828mkII. For Listenback, you can set up a dedicated listenback mic in the live room for the musicians and connect it to another mic input.
The 828mkII can function as a stand-alone digital mixer. Create up to four independent stereo mixes and adjust them on the fly with the front panel display.
MOTU 828mkII SMPTE
The 828mkII is the first FireWire or USB 2.0 audio interface to provide on-board SMPTE time code synchronization features. These features allow you to slave your 828mkII system to SMPTE time code without a synchronizer via a dedicated quarter-inch SMPTE input jack. A SMPTE out jack is also provided for time code generation.
The 828mkII provides a DSP-driven phase-lock engine with sophisticated filtering that provides fast lockup times and sub-frame accuracy.
The included MOTU SMPTE Console software provides a complete set of tools to generate SMPTE for striping, regenerating or slaving other devices to the computer. Like CueMix DSP, the synchronization features are cross-platform and compatible with all audio sequencer software that supports the ASIO2 sample-accurate sync protocol.