MOTU 8pre 16x12 USB Audio Interface
The MOTU 8pre 16x12 USB Audio Interface turns your computer into a powerful digital audio workstation! The 8pre from MOTU delivers pristine 24-bit, 96kHz audio quality, 16 total inputs including eight mic preamps, and 8 channels of ADAT optical digital I/O. This USB audio interface also allows you to expand your system by connecting additional 8pres or other MOTU audio interfaces to incorporate into studio of all sizes!
MOTU 8pre 16x12 USB Audio Interface Features
The 8pre as your primary audio interface
- Hi-speed USB 2.0 audio interface for Mac and Windows
- 16 inputs with 8 mic preamps and 12 outputs including separate phone and main outs
- Flexible analog inputs with 24-bit 96 kHz converters, individually switchable 48-volt phantom power, 20 dB pad and front-panel trim controls
- Two sets of optical connectors to provide eight channels of optical digital I/O
- Operates as an optical expander when connected to any ADAT optical compatible device to add 8 additional mic inputs seamlessly
- CueMix DSP near-zero monitoring system
- Up to 8 different monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones
- Five-segment meters for all analog inputs, plus status lights for clock and interface/expander mode
- Connect a MIDI controller and/or sound module with no separate interface needed
- Additional MOTU 8pre, UltraLite, 828, 828, 896, or Traveler interfaces can be added for additional I/O
- SMPTE time code sync via any analog input
- SMPTE time code generation to any analog output
- Includes native 32- and 64-bit drivers for Mac OS X (10.6 or higher) and Windows (8/7/Vista), including ASIO, WDM, Wave, Core Audio, and Core MIDI
- 100 percent compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs
- Includes AudioDesk sample-accurate workstation software for Mac with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing and sample-accurate sync
Use the included CueMix software to mix all 16 inputs from your computer. Eight channels of ADAT optical I/O make the 8pre an ideal companion for a digital mixer. Two ADAT lightpipe connections work together to support a full 8 channels of optical digital I/O at any sample rate up to 96kHz.
Connect all of your studio gear, including mics, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors. Then monitor all of these live inputs via MOTU 8pre’s main outs or headphone jack with virtually no monitoring latency and no processor drain on your computer. You can even create separate monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones. Control everything, including talk-back and listen-back, from the included CueMix Console software, just like a large studio console.
The 8pre audio interface includes a 16-channel MIDI interface. Simply connect the 8pre to your computer with any USB cable, and both MIDI and audio are ready to go. Connect any MIDI device, such as a controller keyboard, synth module, automated control surface or drum machine. Timing is sample-accurate with supporting software.
The MOTU 8pre provides cross-platform compatibility with Mac OS X (10.6 or higher), Windows (8/7/Vista) and all of your favorite audio software and host-based effects via WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers. Or you can use the included AudioDesk workstation software for Mac OS, with 24-bit recording/editing and 32-bit mixing/processing/mastering.
The 8pre as a mic preamp expansion interface
The 8pre is really two products in one. When it is not connected to a computer via USB, the 8pre functions as an eight-channel analog to digital (optical) converter. Connect the 8pre to your MOTU 828, 896, Traveler or even another 8pre via the optical lightpipe connection to add eight high-quality microphone pre-amps to your system. Since the connection is digital, 100 percent pristine sound is maintained, down to the very last sample.
The 8pre is the perfect way to instantly add eight more mic inputs to any audio interface or digital mixer with optical I/O. If you have a MOTU interface with on-board CueMix DSP mixing, such as the 828 (mkII or mk3), 896 (HD or mk3) or Traveler (original or mk3), the 8pre inputs appear directly in the host interface's CueMix mixer to becomes a transparent extension of your system, operating together with your primary interface as a single, integrated unit.
If you have an 828mk3, 896mk3, 2408mk3, digital mixer or other audio device that supports 96kHz optical and also has two optical inputs, the 8pre connects to it via both optical ports to provide a full eight channels of analog to optical conversion at the 88.2 or 96kHz sample rates.