The Rane Empath DJ Mixer
combines the vision of Grandmaster Flash and Rane technology. Compact size, exceptional performance and advanced features set the Rane Empath DJ mixer apart from the rest. The Empath mixer is the most able 3-channel, 10 inch format mixer available. The name implies understanding, awareness and sensitivity to the needs of DJs. The top plate of the Rane Empath DJ mixer is durable Lexan.
Rane Empath DJ Mixer Features
- Universal internal power supply accepts 100 to 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz power, for use anywhere in the world without adapters
- Auto-Gain prevents performance-wrecking swings in program level when changing sources
- FlexFX is a post-fader external stereo effects loop with individual Dry/Wet pan controls for Inputs 1, 2, 3 and the Mic
- Penny and Giles faders are the best money can buy, providing smooth, accurate and reliable mixing
- Two kinds of fader caps are provided for different preferences: soft rubber caps for smooth mixing, and hard plastic caps for fast mixing
- Flash-Cue allows rapidly selecting Crossfader A-Cue-sum or Crossfader B-Cue-sum with one switch, more complicated on other mixers
- Multiple Outputs with XLR, TRS or RCA connectors
- Low and High headphone tone controls make your headphones sound better
- Both 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch headphone jacks are simultaneously usable
- Two assignable CD triggers work with any CD player with fader start ability
- Accelerated-Slope, full-cut, 3-band tone controls are the highest quality available
- Crossfader assign switches allow any Input Channel to be mixed on the A-side, B-side or Post Crossfader
- Level meters view Stereo Cue, Stereo Master Mix, Split Cue or Main Output signals
Auto-Gain looks at the input signal level (black line) and compares it to the ideal or ‘Target’ level (0 dB). With Auto-Gain on, the gain is increased when it’s above -16 dB, and decreased when it goes over the 0 dB Target (red line). A 3 dB increase or decrease in input level results in 1 dB increase/decrease in output level. It turns the gain down at a rate of 32 dB per second, and turns the gain up at a rate of 5.33 dB per second. Once Auto-Gain is active and falls below -16 dB, it is held indefinitely (blue line).
The Level is monitored at the Cue point, after the Gain trim and after EQ, but before the channel fader. The Input 1-2-3 Auto-Gain switch affects all three channels of the Rane Empath DJ mixer, or none.
To monitor Auto-Gain with the Cue meter system:
- Set A-CUE-B switch to CUE position
- Select the desired Cue source
- Set SPLIT CUE switch to ‘IN’ position
- Set CUE/MASTER Pan to center position
- Set meter CUE/MAIN source switch ‘IN’ to CUE
- The level before Auto-Gain is shown on the left meter
- The level after Auto-Gain is shown on the right meter
Set the Input Gain trim so normal input levels result in 0 dB on the meter with or without Auto-Gain engaged.