SE Electronics Reflexion Filter Pro Ambience Control
The SE Electronics Reflexion Filter is a great way to take out problem ambience with out all the expense of acoustically treating a room. The Reflexion Filter envelopes the rear of the microphone to produce a smooth, drier sound and reject unwanted reflections. Plus the RF PRO mounting hardware has been updated to a more durable, stable and easier to assemble design.
The Reflexion Filter is perfect for a home studio with out acoustic treatment or a performer that also has to operate the recording device. The Reflexion Filter also works very well on an instrument that requires a dry, accurate sound.
SE Electronics Reflexion Filter Features
- An incredible tool for home studios or for recording in the Control Room
- Adds that extra polish to your recordings by starting at the source
- Removes problem ambience without acoustically treating a room
- Rear of the mic is isolated producing a smooth, drier sound
- Excellent for live or studio; vocals, instruments, amps and percussion
An included variable position, stand clamp assembly allows you to attach the Reflexion Filter to any standard microphone stand.
The Reflexion Filter has 6 main layers. Firstly, a strong layer of punched Aluminium which allows sound waves to pass through it, diffused, to a layer of absorptive wool. The sound waves then hit a layer of Aluminium foil which helps dissipate energy and break up the lower frequency wave-forms, and from here they hit an air space kept open by rods passing through the various layers. The air gap acts as an acoustic barrier. The sound waves then pass to a further layer of wool and then through an outer, punched, Aluminium wall which further serve to absorb then diffuse the remaining acoustic energy.
The main absorber has 4 formed pieces of state-of-the-art specialist acoustic absorptive material attached to its face via the extended separation rods, which further serve to absorb and then diffuse the sound waves as they pass to the main filter.
The stand assembly comprises a mic stand clamp fitting, which attaches by means of a vertical joint to the horizontal bar assembly onto which both the Reflexion Filter, and any standard fitting shock mount can be fixed. The microphone (in its shock mount) can then be moved both vertically and horizontally along the bar, and the Reflexion Filter itself can be moved vertically to obtain the optimum working position.
How does it work?
The various layers both absorb and diffuse the sound waves hitting them, so progressively less of the original source acoustic energy passes through each layer. This reduces the amount of energy hitting un-treated walls and other surfaces so there is less of the original source reflected back as unwanted room ambience to the mic. The Reflexion Filter also helps prevent any reflected sound reaching the back and sides of the mic. Its shape and size have been carefully tested to maximize absorption while keeping coloration
down to only around 1dB, and leaving the microphone’s polar pattern unaffected.
If you own a microphone you need one of these!
Steve Levine - producer of Culture Club, Honeyz, The Beach Boys & Louise...
The SE Reflexion Filter is portable. It's innovative. It's versatile. It uses state of the art materials. It works, and it’s a fraction of the price of acoustically treating your studio environment! With this filter you can bring acoustic treatment with you wherever you need it and improve your recordings.
How the SE Reflexion Filter Works
- Voice, Sung or Spoken: Tighter punchier tracks – increased isolation in live set-ups
- Reeds/Horns: Tighter punchier tracks and increased isolation in live set-ups
- Guitar, Acoustic or Amplified: Tighter punchier tracks – increased isolation in live set-ups
- Percussion: Adds detail especially on small hand percussion
- Live and Location: Add detail, isolation, remove unwanted room sound
It reduces the amount of acoustic energy hitting un-treated walls and other surfaces so there is less of the original source reflected back as unwanted room ambience to the mic. Sound reflections are progressively reduced in strength after passing through six layers of the main unit and a seventh separate layer:
- Punched Aluminum for diffusing sound waves
- Sound-absorptive wool
- Aluminum Foil dissipating energy and breaking up lower frequency wave-forms
- An air gap acting as an acoustic barrier
- More sound-absorptive wool
- Another layer of punched aluminum to further absorb and diffuse acoustic energy
- Four formed panels of state-of-the-art specialist acoustic absorptive material separated from the main unit via a small air gap.
The Reflexion Filter's shape and size have been carefully tested to maximize absorption while keeping coloration down to only around 1dB, and leaving the microphone’s polar pattern unaffected.
The stand setup attaches to any microphone stand via a clamp fitting, with additional assembly allowing the microphone (in its shock mount) to be moved both vertically and horizontally along the bar, and the Reflexion Filter itself can be moved vertically to tune
for the optimum desired absorption performance.
It weighs in at 8 lbs. The dimensions of the filter section are: 14.5 inches across to the outside edges, 12 inches high and 8 inches deep. The mounting mechanism extends down another 8 inches max, and is 16 inches across in the widest positional setting.