- Manufacturer Info
- Also Purchased
- Video & Docs
It's a Mobile Field Stereo Recorder
|The Zoom H4 delivers digital audio recording for everyone, everywhere!
The H4 is the next big thing from Zoom.
Now, version 2.0 for the ZOOM H4 is available for download!
The Zoom H4 Handy Digital Recorder fits in your palm and is ideal for recording live musical performances, interviews, podcasts, meetings, classes and seminars. The H4 allows you to record 24-bit/96 kHz digital audio as well as in MP3 format with bitrates up to 320kbps.
The H4 features two studio-quality electret condenser microphones configured in an X/Y pattern for true stereo recording. It also includes 2 combination XLR-quarter-inch input jacks with phantom power for use with any external microphones of your choice. And the H4 is loaded with onboard studio effects such as compression, limiting and mic modeling. A minijack headphone jack is also provided for monitoring.
The H4 records on to Secure Digital (SD) media, a 512MB SD card is included with the unit. With a 2GB SD memory card, the H4 provides up to 380 minutes of recording in 16-bit mode (CD Quality), and 34 hours in MP3 stereo mode. Maximum Recording Time. Click here for listing of compatible SD cards!
The H4 provides four hours of continuous recording operation from 2 AA batteries. A back-lit, 128x64 pixel LCD provides the visual interface. An AC adapter, USB cable, windshield cover and tripod adapter are also included.
It’s also a 4-Track Recorder!
|Version 2.0 Upgrade
This upgrade will turn the ZOOM H4 into an even more powerful and versatile recorder.
Download is done thru Zoom’s website. Click here for instructions.
- Support for SDHC cards over 4GB
- Adopted a larger display font to be easier to read
- Indicates the battery capacity and recordable time at the top of the screen
- Added a File Dividing function to create separate files for each song from a long-hours of live recording
- Added a Low-Cut filter to reduce wind noise and breath popping
- Added an MP3 post-encoding function which can convert recorded WAV files into MP3s
- Added a Mono Mix function for the purpose of Electronic News Gathering
- Added an Auto Recording function enables you to start recording automatically when the input exceeds a certain level
- Added a Normalize function lets you increase the audio level of the recorded file at a maximum
Click here to read the Premier Guitar
review of the Zoom H2 and H4.
Unlike other field recorders, the H4 also has a 4-track recording mode for easy-to-use mobile multi-track recording. The H4 will also render 4-track audio with CD quality, 16-bit/44.1 kHz resolution.
Songwriters and musicians can use the combination XLR-quarter-inch high-impedance phone inputs for vocals, guitars, bass or keyboards. Also onboard, are Zoom’s most incredible guitar and bass amplifier modeling effects. These effects accurately reproduce the sounds of the most famous guitar amps ever made.
And by the way, it’s also a USB Audio Interface
Recording directly to your computer has never been easier than with the Zoom H4 Handy Recorder. The H4 is the only portable digital recorder that also serves as your USB audio interface, allowing direct recording of instruments and vocals to your computer. And, if you don’t already have a DAW, that’s okay because every H4 comes bundled with Cubase LE
, the perfect 48-Track Digital Audio Workstation for easy editing, mixing and mastering of your recordings on either Windows or Mac.
The Zoom H4 is now compatible with Mac OS X Leopard.
Together, these features make the Zoom H4 Handy Digital Recorder the most versatile portable recording device ever offered.
Zoom H4 Handy Recorder Features
4-track audio in CD quality 16-bit PCM, 44.1 kHz sampling
Combination high-impedance phone inputs for vocals, guitars, bass or keyboards.
Built in guitar amp modeling equivalent to the Zoom G2
Records directly to your computer as a USB audio interface
Bundled with Cubase LE, 48-Track Digital Audio Workstation software
- Mobile Field Recording
- Fits in the palm of your hand
- Ideal for infinite variety of mobile recording applications
- Records 24-bit/96 kHz digital audio as well as MP3 format with bitrates up to 320kbps
- Two studio quality X/Y pattern condenser microphones for true stereo recording
- Two combination XLR-1/4-inch input jacks with phantom power
- Onboard studio effects compression, limiting and mic modeling
- Minijack headphone jack provided for monitoring
- 512MB Secure Digital (SD) Memory card included.
- Using a 2GB SD memory card provides 380 minutes of recording with CD Quality sound
- Up to 34 hours recording in MP3 stereo mode
- USB mass-storage interface
- Four hours of continuous recording operation from 2 AA batteries
- Back-lit, 128~64 pixel LCD provides the visual interface
- AC adapter, windshield cover, USB Cable and tripod adapter included
Effect List – 4 Track Mode
- Preamp Module
- Guitar Amp & Stomp Box models: FD Clean, VX Clean, HW Clean, US Blues, BG Crunch, MS #1959, PV Drive, Rect Vnt, DZ Drive,
- TS+FD_Combo, SD+MS_Stack, FZ+MS_Stack, Acoustic Sim.
- Bass Amp & Pre-Amp models: SVT, Bassman, Hartke, SuperBass, Sansamp, Tube Pre
- Mic Preamps: Vocal Micpre, AG Micpre, Flat Micpre
- EFX module
- Compressor / Limiter: Rack Compressor, Limiter
- Modulation: Auto Wah, Phaser, Tremolo, Ring Mod, Slow Attack, Chorus, Ensemble, Flanger, Step, Vibrato, Cry, Pitch Shift
- Delay - Reverb: Air, Delay, Tape Echo, Analog Delay, Reverse Delay, Hall, Room, Spring, Arena, Tiled Room, Modern Spring
- Effect List – Stereo Mode
- MIC MODEL module: SM57, MD421, U87, C414
- COMP / LIMIT module: Compressor, Limiter
- * Manufacturer names and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. The names are used only to illustrate sonic characteristics and do not indicate any affiliation with the Zoom Corporation.
The accolades for the H4 have started pouring in. Here's a recent article from Music Trades, a respected industry magazine.
Is It A Field Recorder?
No, It’s A Multi-Track!
Wait, It’s Also A Computer Interface
Zoom’s New H4 Handheld Recorder Packs A Huge Feature Set Into A Tiny Package, Creating A Tool Everyone Can Use.
HOW MANY FUNCTIONS can you manage to cram into a hand-held package that’s just a tad larger than an Apple iPod? That seems to be the question that preoccupied Zoom engineers when they designed the H4 Handy Recorder, an all-in-one tool that could more appropriately be called the Swiss army knife of audio devices. The sleek device contains two electret condenser mics- making it an ideal field recorder. It also can function as a four-track recorder. Thanks to a USB port the H4 also makes it possible to instantly download any audio files onto a computer. “The Zoom H4 represents a true crossover product for retailers because its applications are virtually unlimited,” says Ken Fuente, vice-president of sales. “It’s one of those products that everyone needs”
This much functionality in a hand held box represents a triumph of advanced digital engineering and micro-chip design.Equally significant, Zoom engineers managed to make it all easily accessible, highly user-friendly, and attractive to boot. The controls on the device are sufficiently intuitive, and most people who are reasonably computer literate will be able to get it up and running without wading through a dense ownerfs manual. With its compact size, the H4 is ideal for recording live musical performances, interviews, podcasts, meetings, classes, and seminars. The H4 allows you to record 24-bit/96 kHz digital audio as well as in MP3 format with bitrates up to 320kbps. With an expected street price of $299, Fuente also expects it to fly off the shelves.
Audio quality is enhanced with two electret condenser microphones configured in an X/Y pattern for true stereo recording. The unit also features two combination XLR-1/4 inch input jacks with phantom power for use with any external microphones of your choice. The H4 is loaded with onboard studio effects such as compression, limiting, and mic modeling. An 1/8 inch headphone jack is also provided for monitoring.
The H4 records on to Secure Digital (SD) media, a 512MB SD card is included with the unit. With a 2GB SD memory card, the H4 provides up to 380 minutes of recording in 16-bit mode (CD Quality), and 34 hours in MP3 stereo mode. To move your recordings to a PC or Mac, the H4 includes a USB mass-storage interface.
The H4 provides four hours of continuous recording operation from two AA batteries. Aback-lit, 128 x 64 pixel LCD provides the visual interface. An AC adapter, USB cable, windshield cover and tripod adapter are also included. Unlike other field recorders, the H4 also has a four-track recording mode for easy-to-use mobile multi-track recording. The H4 will also render four-track audio with CD quality, 16-bit/44.1 kHz resolution.
Songwriters and musicians can use the combination XLR-1/4" high-impedance phone inputs for vocals, guitars, bass or keyboards. Also onboard are Zoom’s most popular guitar and bass amplifier modeling effects. These effects accurately reproduce the sounds of the most famous guitar amps ever made.
Recording directly to your computer has never been easier than with the Zoom H4 Handy Recorder. The H4 is the only portable digital recorder that also serves as your USB audio interface, allowing direct recording of instruments and vocals to your computer. And, if you don’t already have a DAW, that’s okay because every H4 comes bundled with Cubase LE, the perfect 48-Track Digital Audio Workstation for easy editing, mixing, and mastering of recordings on either Windows or Mac.
Reprinted with permission from the September 2006 issue of The Music Trades Magazine.
Whether you're recording a live performance, a podcast, a class or workshop, a rehearsal, a songwriting session or even a sizzling performance of your band, the H4 has more recording tools available than any device ever made. Weighing a mere 6.7 ounces (190g), the H4 puts a remarkable amount of recording power in the palm of your hand.
Underneath its sleek exterior are built-in studio effects such as compression, limiting and mic modeling. Use the combination XLR-1/4-inch inputs for external mics, guitars, bass or keyboards. Also onboard are Zoom's most incredible microphone, guitar and bass modeling, accurately reproducing the tone of the most famous microphones and amps ever made. Audio can be recorded as WAV or MP3 files and moved to a computer via USB for easy editing, mixing and mastering.
True Stereo Imaging
Stereo recording is often accomplished by using two microphones in a V-shaped set up that faces the performer. While this method will result in good stereo separation, responsiveness for the area directly in front of the mics will be low, causing problems with depth perception and imaging. The Zoom H4 uses an X/Y configuration where the two microphones point inward at a crossing angle. This allows the recorder to cover a wide area, and at the same time capture sound sources in the center with perfect clarity and definition. Phase differences between left and right channels are also eliminated because sound is picked up simultaneously by both microphones.
24-bit, 96 kHz linear PCM Format and MP3 Recording
The H4 allows 24-bit/96 kHz linear PCM recording in WAV format, resulting in excellent transparency and definition that exceeds the sound quality of CDs. This is great for capturing the nuances of an acoustic instrument while preserving the ambience of the recording location. Or record directly as MP3 files for longer recordings that still provide excellent sound quality.
Secure Digital (SD) Media
The H4 records on Secure Digital (SD) Media cards. These widely available cards boast an amazing amount of recording time in a small package. And unlike tape or disc media, mechanical vibrations do not affect recording quality. With a 2GB SD memory card, the H4 can provide up to 190 minutes of stereo WAV file recording in 44.1 kHz/16-bit mode or as many as 34 hours when recording at 128 kbps in MP3 stereo mode. Click here for listing of compatible SD cards!
Combination XLR-Quarter-inch Inputs
The H4, with its two phantom powered XLR-1/4" input jacks that support direct connection of external microphones, is the solution to an infinite number of recording situations. You can also use the H4's Hi-Z rated phone inputs for direct connection of guitars, bass, or any other line-input device.
Input Level Optimization for Detailed Sound
The H4's excellent dynamic range allows you to consistently match the input level to the source. Whether you're recording a band's live performance, a solo vocalist, acoustic instruments, a classroom lecture or even a subtle soundscape, the H4's automatic gain control lets you limit peaks to -6 dB during Rec Stand-by position. And its built-in level meter and separate Low / Mid / High gain settings for the built-in stereo mics mean you can monitor operation and make adjustments on the fly.
Portable Multi-Track Recording
Capture vocals, guitars, bass, keyboards, drum machines and other instruments on separate tracks with the H4's 4-track mode. The H4 allows simultaneous recording on two tracks and simultaneous playback on four tracks. Level and panning can be adjusted for each track individually. Punch-in recording and track bouncing make editing a breeze. Other features include a versatile tuner for guitar and bass, a metronome for use as a rhythm guide and A|B repeat capability.
*While in 4-track mode, the H4 records as 16-bit/44.1kHz WAV files.
Onboard Effects With Microphone And Amp Modeling
The integrated DSP effects processor with 32-bit architecture employs the latest modeling technology to replicate the most famous guitar, bass and microphone sounds. The array consists of 4 microphones (SM57 / MD421 / U87 / C414), 12 guitar amps and stomp boxes such as Fender, Marshall, Vox, and Mesa Boogie and 6 bass amps and preamps including Ampeg, Bassman, and Hartke. We've also included a compressor / limiter to prevent input signal overload, Zoom Noise Reduction (ZNR) and other studio quality effects such as chorus, flanger, phaser, delay, and reverb. The effect memory of the H4 accommodates 60 patches. 50 presets are already programmed for applications such as direct recording of guitar and bass as well as mic recording of vocals and acoustic guitar.
*In stereo mode, only mic modeling and the compressor / limiter effects can be used.
*Mic modeling effects are only for use with the built-in microphones.
It's a USB Audio Interface
The H4 also will function as a direct audio interface for your computer. Connect the supplied USB cable and record directly to your computer. And the H4 comes bundled with Cubase LE from Steinberg so you can start to produce and edit music straight away. Thanks to the direct hardware monitoring function, there is no latency problem, you can hear what you're recording as you're playing it.
*Effects can only be used when the sampling rate is 44.1kHz.
Drag and Drop File Transfer
When the H4 is connected to a computer via USB, it also functions as an SD card reader. This allows you to drag and drop audio files to your computer like you would pictures from a digital camera. Create a media player sound library, tailor a recording with a waveform editor, then mix and master with a DAW. Then create your own CDs, send files by e-mail, or use them for podcasting. The possibilities are endless. The H4 will even function as a portable MP3 player.
Intuitive User Interface
The H4's easy-to-use control interface uses cursor keys and a jog dial that lets you operate most functions with one hand. Its backlight LCD makes for easy navigation, even in dark settings, thanks to a clear graphic layout and well-designed icons. A key-hold function prevents inadvertent operation during recording.
Thanks to its circuit design optimized for low voltage operation, the H4 can record continuously for about four hours on a pair of AA batteries. The supplied AC adaptor (AD-0006) can be plugged in for extended use. When using the H4 as an SD card reader or USB audio interface, it can be powered via USB.
Zoom H4 Specifications
- Simultaneous Recording - Playback Tracks: 2 (stereo)
- Locator: Hours - Minutes - Seconds - Milliseconds
- File Editing: Rename, Delete, Size check
- Other Function: A-B repeat
- Modules: 2
- Types: 6
- Data Type
- Recording Format: WAV(Quantization: 16, 24bit, Sampling frequency: 44.1, 48, 96kHz), MP3 (Bit rate: 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224,
- 256, 320kbps, VBR, Sampling frequency: 44.1kHz)
- Playback Format: WAV(Quantization: 16, 24bit; Sampling frequency: 44.1, 48, 96kHz), MP3 (Bit rate: 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224,
- 256, 320kbps, VBR, Sampling frequency: 44.1, 48kHz)
- Simultaneous Recording Tracks: 2
- Simultaneous Playback Tracks: 4
- Locator: Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Milliseconds
- Projects: 1000 per card
- File Editing: Rename, Delete, Size check, Copy, Import
- Other Functions: A-B repeat; Punch-in, out; Bounce
- Modules: 2
- Types: 47
- Patches: 60
- Tuner: Chromatic, Guitar, Bass, Open A, D, E, G, DADGAD
- Data Type
- Recording - Playback Format: WAV (Quantization: 16bit, Sampling frequency: 44.1kHz)
- Metronome: 5 sounds (Beat: 0/4 - 8/4, 6/8, Tempo: 40.0 - 250.0BPM)
- A/D Conversion: 24bit, 128times oversampling
- D/A Conversion: 24bit, 128times oversampling
- Signal Processing: 32bit
- Recording Media: SD memory card (16MB-2GB)
- Display: 128 x 64 pixel, backlit LCD
- Balanced / Unbalanced Input: 2 x XLR-1/4 inch phone combo Jack
- Input Impedance: Balanced input = 1kOhm balanced / pin 2 hot, Unbalanced input = 480kOhms unbalanced
- Input Level: Balanced input = -20/-30/-40dBm, Unbalanced input = -10/-30/-40dBm
- Phantom Power Supply: 48V, 24V, OFF
- Built-in Stereo Mic: Unidirectional condenser microphone (Gain switch: +6/+20/+30dB)
- Line Output: 1/8 inch stereo phone jack (Output load impedance: 10kOhms or more, Rated output level: -10dBm)
- Headphones Output: 1/8 inch stereo phone jack (Output level: 50mW into 32-Ohm load)
- USB Interface: Mini-B type (USB2.0 Full-speed compatible), Mass Storage Class operation / Audio Interface operation (16bit, 44.1kHz / 48kHz)
- Power Requirements: AA size (LR6) battery x 2, or Supplied AC adaptor AD-0006 (DC9V/300mA/center minus type)
- Battery Life (with alkaline batteries): 4 hours recording, 4.5 hours playback
- Dimensions: 2.75(W) X 6.01(D) X 1.35(H)Inches, 70(W) x 152.7(D) x 35(H)mm
- Weight (without batteries): 6.7 oz, 190 g
- Supplied Accessories: AC adaptor (AD-0006), USB cable, SD memory card (512MB), Wind screen, Cubase LE Install CD
As of August 2007, these SD Memory Cards has been tested and found to be fully compatible with the H4.
*Some brands have been deleted from the list because card performance widely varies depending on the period of production.
|2GB||Panasonic:|| RP-SDV02G (U1A/E1A/G1A)|
|HAGIWARA SYS-COM:|| HPC-SD2GT4C|
|IO DATA:|| SD-2G
|GREEN HOUSE:|| GH-SDC2GG
|1GB||Panasonic:|| RP-SDM01G (U1A/E1A/G1A)|
|HAGIWARA SYS-COM:|| HPC-SD1GT
|Delkin Devices:|| DDSDFLS1-1GB
|512MB||Panasonic:|| RP-SDR512 (U1A/E1A/G1A)|
|HAGIWARA SYS-COM:|| HPC-SD512T
* When you use a SD Memory Card less than 512 MB, please use same brand and same series as shown above. It may work theoretically. However please note that Zoom did not confirm actual performance on the H4. Back to previous location
Minimum Item Quantity 1 is required to purchase.
Item Quantity exceeds the limit 0 . Questions? Feel free to Call or Chat.