Zoom H4n: Better DSLR Audio Solution for HD Video
One of the hottest trends in video production is to use DSLR cameras such as the Canon 5D and 7D or the Nikon D90. Filmmakers and video professionals love these cameras because they can shoot amazing HD video. And with the breadth of 35mm lenses available, this approach makes digital video look like film. But as great as their video looks, these DSLR cameras have limited audio recording capability.
The Audio Solution for DSLR HD video
The H4n has become the go to solution for DSLR cameras such as the Canon 5D and 7D or the Nikon D90. Though filmmakers and video professionals have fallen in love with DSLR cameras for their HD video quality and their ability to make digital video look like film through 35mm lenses, they possess limited audio recording options.
Enter the H4n… The H4n offers DSLR cameras its incredibly sensitive onboard mics and 4-channel recording capabilities. It is the only recorder that makes it possible to use a boom mic with its Channel 1 XLR input, a wireless lavaliere on its Channel 2 XLR and get incredible stereo imaging with its onboard mics, all at once.
The H4n’s internal clock is also very attractive to DSLR camera operators and film editors. The clock’s extreme precision ensures that there will be no drift when dealing with short clips. For longer shots, the audio and video sync is performed during editing using software like Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere.
Zoom Now Offers a Free Firmware Upgrade to Version 1.70!
This upgrade (downloadable at Zoom's Website) enables independent level control
for each of two XLR inputs which an important feature when utilizing your H4n
for DSLR audio or when recording with different microphones simultaneously!
Zoom H4N On-Camera DSLR Audio Kit Features
Enter the Zoom H4n
- Built-in X/Y stereo mics record at either 90° or 120°
- Four channel simultaneous recording using built-in and external mics
- Digitally controlled, high-quality mic preamp for better DSLR audio
- Large 1.9-Inch LCD screen and improved user interface for easy operation
- 24bit/96kHz Linear PCM recording for pristine recording
- Built-in reference speaker to check recordings
- Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) compatible time stamp and track marker
- Records on SD/SDHC media of up to 32GB for maximum recording time
- Stamina mode enables 10 hours of continuous battery life
- Built-in mounting joint for tripod and mic stand mounting
- USB 2.0 port for faster file transfer
- XLR mic inputs with phantom power allow recording with any mic
- Studio effects onboard, including guitar and bass amp modeling
- USB audio interface capability
- Low-cut filter to reduce noise
- Normalizing and file splitting functions
- Mono mix function
- Optional remote control available
For better DSLR audio, the H4n has quickly become the "go to" solution because of its incredibly sensitive onboard mics and 4-channel recording capabilities. The Zoom H4n makes better DSLR audio possible by using a boom mic with its Channel 1 XLR input, a wireless lavalier on its Channel 2 XLR and incredible stereo imaging with its onboard mics, all at once.
Who Needs Time Code?
In addition to better DSLR audio with the H4n, the H4n’s internal clock is extremely precise so there is no drift on short clips. For longer shots, the audio and video sync is performed during editing using software like Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere. For these applications, we recommend PluralEyes by Singular Software. PluralEyes saves hours in post-production for “dualsystem audio” or multi-take workflows. It automatically synchronizes all your audio and video clips without the need for timecode, clappers or any special preparation.
The award winning Zoom H4n is the most popular choice for better DSLR audio. It delivers superior audio quality and has an easy user interface. The H4n’s highly sensitive mics and four channel recording ability with built-in XLR jacks in combination with its digitally controlled, high-quality preamplifier renders audio so precise, it sounds like you recorded in a world-class studio, even on location……
Zoom H4N On-Camera DSLR Audio Kit Includes
- Zoom H4n Handy Portable Digital Recorder
- Audio Technica ATHM20 Stereo Headphones
- SDHC Secure Digital High Capacity Memory Card
- DelvCam Camera Mount Adapter