The Gibson 1956 Les Paul Goldtop Standard Vintage Original Spec model is the next step in Gibson’s journey toward perfection.
Ted McCarty’s Tune-o-Matic bridge (also knows as the ABR-1) started to appear on higher end Gibson guitars as early as 1954. The ABR-1 was added to the Les Paul Model in 1956 and, with individual saddles to adjust each string’s length as well as thumbwheels to adjust the overall height of the bridge, represented a quantum leap forward in intonation and a marked improvement in tone and sustain.
All VOS model Gibsons are given an aged appearance by enduring unique staining, wet-sanding, and hand-rubbing processes. The result of these methods creates a visually stunning reflection of a well-cared for 40-year-old Gibson.
Gibson Custom 1956 Les Paul Goldtop VOS Features
- 1-piece, solid mahogany backs. Not book-matched or weight-relieved
- Historically accurate neck tenon for superior sustain - you can see it extending under the neck pick-up
- Bumblebee capacitors (where applicable), and correct routing
- Historically accurate reproductions of original PAF humbuckers
- Tortoise dot markers on the side of the neck
- ABR-1 bridge and lightweight aluminum stopbar tailpiece
- Holly headstock veneer
- Period-correct stain and filler
- 100% nitro-cellulose lacquer finishes - no added plasticizers