Will never need to purchase an interface again, this is it for me
By: Charles Allen - BMR Studios from Orange, NJ
What is your overall opinion of this product?
In my honest opinion, there is no better overall interface on the market. If this product suites your I/O needs, there's nothing better. There are other products that people may say have a better sound... but I find that odd, b/c I feel the interface isn't supposed to have a sound. It's supposed to be super clean... and then you can add outboard pieces that have a "sound" if you want that (ie, colored preamps, high end DA conversion, etc). The UCX accomplishes just that, for relatively not so much money, considering the fact that you won't feel the need to upgrade for a very long time.
If I ever upgrade, it will be because I ran out of I/O somehow, and I need to get a UFX.
Ease of Use
How easy is this product to use? How well are the controls and connections laid out?
The RME drivers are not as easy to install as other drivers. Not a fault of RME. But Windows makes it a little more round-about. You have to go into Task manager > Device Manager, and update the drivers there.
Also.. TotalMix is extremely powerful, but you will do yourself a favor by finding a good basic Youtube tutorial. Once you understand what's goin on better, it's much easier to do your routing.
Either way... none of this is a dealbreaker for me, for a superior product. I'll tell you why below....
Are the features on the product what you were expecting? What are your favorite features?
Here are the top features to me. I tried to put them in order of my own personal importance. I had long blurbs written out but I ran out of room, so I have to be brief hahaha.
1) Drivers - they are top notch. There is none better that I'm aware of
2) Preamps - super clean, they pick up everything exactly how it sounds. They make things no better and no worse.
3) Tons of I/O for a small unit - This thing has 4 inputs on the front, 4 inputs on the back, 8 outputs, ADAT, and SPDIF. Not to mention word clock and 2 MIDI ports! That's insane for a unit of this size. I literally can run a big projection studio from this with all of the features. If I ever need more (which i doubt) i'll get the UFX
5) TotalMix is dope. Tough to learn, but worth it.
6) Front control knob is nice b/c I don't have the breakout unit.
7) Did I mention the drivers are amazing? Never got my latency this low and still be so stable. I can record at 64 samples with a full product running. Unheard of
Did you get what you were expecting for the price? How does it compare to similar products in the same price range?
The value is immense. I thank myself everyday for taking the plunge... and I love how American Musical has a payment plan so I could afford the gear I want, and not have to settle.
This interface allows me to no longer worry about performance and quality. That in itself is invaluable. I can just focus on my music... finally.