The Aphex J Pre 500 Microphone Preamp 500 Series Module spawns from the flagship Aphex 1788A version that is used both live and in studios. The renowned Jensen JT11K8 nickel input transformer is used by both, but the Aphex J PRE 500 also uses a Jensen JT-11DL nickel output-balancing transformer. The Aphex J PRE 500 gives you the legendary 1788A sound at a much more inexpensive price. The patented Mic-Limiter technology works before the preamp. It’s nearly impossible to clip the input of the preamp when the limiter is on, great for no-second-chance recording.
Aphex J Pre 500 Microphone Preamp 500 Series Module Features
- Front panel 10Mohm
- 1/4 in. input for the connection of instruments
- input overrides the input on the rear of the receiving frame
- 3-way switch allows the selection of +16, +20 or +24dBu output levels
- 20-segment input meter allows input levels to be easily seen from a distance
- 65 dB of gain to properly operate dynamic, condenser and ribbon microphones
- 26dB pad for very loud sources
- Illuminated buttons control Phantom Power, Phase Reverse, 75Hz High Pass Filter and Mic Limiter on - off
- Approved by the VPR Alliance
Live Performance - The Aphex 1788A is an industry standard mic pre for live performance. It is commonly used for award shows like The Grammys, The Academy Awards and The Country Music Awards. The J PRE 500 is inspired by the preamp from the 1788A and includes Aphex’s patented Mic-Limiter technology that works before the preamp for those times when there is no second take.
Professional Studio Recording - When you plug into the J PRE-500, you’ll instantly think “This is the real deal – this is the sound people think of when they hear professional recordings from a big name studio!”. The 1/4 in. input also makes it easy to run instruments through the mic pre without using a direct box.
Voice Over/ADR Recording - The J PRE 500 provides excellent sound for voice. The patented Aphex MicLims also come in handy when screaming or yelling is required in a recording. You’ll capture excellent sound quality without clipping the input of the preamp.