Whether you already own or plan on purchasing a Bose® L1® sound system here at American Musical Supply, the T1 ToneMatch audio engine is the perfect way to maximize your sound and minimize your setup time. One heavy-duty CAT 5 cable (supplied) does it all for Bose L1 Model 1S or Model II system users - from supplying power to the T1, to sending digital audio data to the base’s amplifier.*
Bose T1 ToneMatch Features:
- Integrated ToneMatch audio engine and audio technologies provide four independent channels featuring a library of ToneMatch instrument and microphone presets, proprietary zEQ and a complete suite of studio-class effects and sound processors.
- Proprietary ToneMatch presets optimize L1 system to match intended natural sound of specific instruments and vocal mics. More than 100 presets are organized into quick-access banks and can be independently assigned to each channel. Free ongoing updates via USB connection between your computer and ToneMatch audio engine.
- Proprietary zEQ automatically adjusts the range of tone controls to match your voice or instrument, making it easier to fine-tune your sound. Conventional mixers may have fixed EQ ranges that don't accurately affect desired frequencies when adjusted. But zEQ appropriately redefines low, mid and high frequency ranges of specified sources.
- Single-band ParaEQ centers on frequency you specify for each independent channel. Valuable tool for reshaping problematic frequencies in certain venues.
- Five reverb types (small, medium, large, plate and cavern) available for global assignment, with individual channel controls for decay time, mix level and brightness.
- Three delay types (analog, digital and tape) can be independently assigned to selected channels, with control over feedback time and mix level for each channel. For example, you can select tape delay for your vocal on channel 1 and analog delay for your guitar on channel 2.
- Ten modulation effects (three chorus types, two flange types, four phaser types and one vintage tremolo effect) can be independently assigned to selected channels, with control over designated parameters for each channel.
- Seven dynamics processing types (three compressors, limiter, de-esser, kick gate and noise gate) can be assigned to independent channels.
- Scenes allow you to store, recall and edit "snapshots" of all key ToneMatch audio engine settings at any given time. This feature helps simplify setup when you're using an L1 system repeatedly in different venues. The engine includes five predefined Bose scenes, five My scenes and five Shared scenes you can give to other L1 owners.
- Chromatic tuner for convenient tuning of instruments.
- Large backlit display with intuitive layout and easy-to-read text for modes and settings.
- Rotary encoder for quick access to modes, effects and parameters, including ToneMatch presets, zEQ, ParaEQ, reverbs, delays, modulators, dynamics processing, scenes and tuner. Features clean, circular layout.
- Aux mode (channels 1 – 3) send channels' dry, pre-fader or post-fader audio to aux output for connection to additional L1 systems or recording devices. Independent level controls for optimal signal output.
- Channel volume, mute and FX mute (1 – 4/5) for adjusting individual channel volume, muting individual channels and muting all effects on selected channels.
- Master volume adjusts overall level of master output.
- Phantom power applies +48V power to input channels 1 – 3 to drive specific microphones.
- ToneMatch cable transfers audio signals and provides power to ToneMatch audio engine from L1 power stand.
- Mounting bar and carriage securely attaches ToneMatch audio engine to L1 loudspeaker.
- Cover and carrying case help protect engine when storing and transporting.
The compact and lightweight T1 features more than 100 proprietary ToneMatch presets for microphones and instruments, ensuring that each of its four channels and Bose zEQ will be ideally matched to any input source. To further enhance your sound, the T1 ToneMatch audio engine also includes a parametric equalizer for each channel, a suite of studio-quality effects (assignable per channel), and storable scenes for instant recall of your custom settings. Did we happen to mention the built-in, high-accuracy Chromatic Tuner?
You can even use the T1 as an audio interface for your PC or Mac utilizing a Type 1 - Type 2 USB cable. This simple connection allows you to take advantage of the T1’s processing power to quickly and easily achieve great-sounding results with many popular brands of recording software. It also works the other way around, as you can use the T1’s USB port to play music back from your PC or Mac through your L1 system.
In short, the T1 ToneMatch audio engine is designed to enhance the capabilities, and more importantly, the sound of any Bose L1 system. Its powerful, easy-to-use tone-shaping tools will quickly and easily bring out the true sound of your instruments and voice. You’ll experience greater control and clarity than you ever thought possible from a compact PA system — and if your results are anything like those reported by many other T1 users, including some of AMS’s own staff — you and your audience will notice the difference!
* Users of the L1 Compact and just about any other PA system can still benefit from the T1 ToneMatch’s features by using an external power supply and a standard ¼-inch shielded cable (sold separately).
Around the Dial in 60 Seconds
The T1 ToneMatch audio engine features a rotary encoder with backlit pointer and labeling for quick selection and adjustment of a wide variety of tone-shaping parameters in any environment. Let’s take a tour around the dial and see what the power of ToneMatch can do for you!
Here’s where you’ll find a large library of customized presets to instantly optimize instruments and microphones for your L1 system. You can even assign different presets to each of the engine's four channels all at the same time. For example, select Shure® mic presets for channels 1 and 2, Taylor® acoustic guitar for channel 3, and Fender® bass for channel 4. You can even drill down to a particular instrument within a category, such a Taylor Grand Concert guitar either strummed or played fingerstyle. Bose regularly works with many popular instrument and microphone manufacturers to create additional ToneMatch presets. Updates are available to you free, with easy downloading via the engine's USB port.
- zEQ — Intelligent Equalization
Most conventional mixers have fixed EQ ranges that don't necessarily affect the optimum frequencies for a particular input source. However, the T1’s intelligent zEQ is much more than just a typical 3-band EQ — it actually adjusts its range of tone controls based on your ToneMatch preset selection, making it easier to fine-tune your sound with greater accuracy.
For those times when you need to zone in on a particular frequency, the ToneMatch’s single-band Parametric EQ can be assigned per channel and is adjustable for a center frequency range of 50Hz - 8000Hz, with a bandwidth of .2 - 5 octaves and a cut/boost range of -15dB - +15dB. You’ll find this to be a valuable tool for reshaping problematic frequencies in certain environments.
The Comp/Gate setting brings up more than just 3 Compressor and Gate presets — it also allows you to select a Limiter and a De-esser. All dynamics effects in this series are adjustable for Threshold and Gain, plus there’s a bar graph meter for instant visual feedback as to how your applied setting are affecting the signal
Select from 3 different Chorus types (Brite, Warm, Dark), 2 Flanger settings (Tape, Feedback), 4 Phase Shifters (Stomp, Rack, Warm, Bright); even Tremolo. Adjustable parameters for fine-tuning include Speed (.52Hz - 50Hz) and Depth 0% - 100%).
Emulating echo sounds from every era of recorded music, the Delay function allows you to choose from Tape, Analog, and Digital. Adjust your Mix from 0% to 100%; delay times ranging from 1.5ms to 496ms; and Feedback of 0% to 100%. Whether you want that classic Elvis slapback echo, long delays with infinite repeats, or anything in between — you’ll find it quickly and easily with a few button pushes and knob twists.
At first glance, one might think that this is not a very flexible Reverb processor. After all, you can only adjust Mix and Bright settings. However, the heavy lifting is handled by the Reverb Type setting in the Global section. Let’s move on, shall we?
Select from five different reverb types, including Plate, Small, Medium, Large, and Cavern — then adjust Time from .20 seconds to a whopping 9.85 seconds of decay. Whether you’re trying to emulate the ambient effect of singing in your shower or yelling into the Grand Canyon, the T1 ToneMatch audio engine has you covered.
Here you’ll find Input meters for all four channels, as well as Output levels for Master, Aux and USB; ToneMatch preset preferences; settings for USB functionality; Master Out preferences — basically all of your utility-type settings and metering.
Save all of your custom ToneMatch settings into one of ten User scenes, or select from five factory scenes (Factory Settings, Singer/Songwriter, DJ/Playback, Drums and Bass, The Works). Of the ten User scenes, five are Shared scenes that you can give to other L1 owners. Select “Factory Settings” if you’ve lost your way and want to return home to start anew.
This setting controls what type of signal the ToneMatch audio engine’s Aux output will send to an external destination. Choose from three settings that offer the flexibility to handle any situation — “Dry: After Preamp”; “Pre: With EQ & Fx”; or “Post: After Fader”.
Always the company that never misses on the small details, Bose has clearly done their homework in regard to their L1 customers’ wants and needs. As such, they’ve included a highly-accurate chromatic tuner with a clear, stable display that is capable of being transposed up or down one full step.
The Ins and Outs; FX and Channel Muting
Channels one - three feature a dual-purpose XLR/Balanced TRS 1/4-inch jack that is capable of handling just about any input signal with low noise and signal loss. Phantom power is assignable to all three channels via a Phantom button with LED indicator on the top panel. These channels also provide a Preamp Out for sending signal directly from the channel to an external mixer, amplifier, or recording device.
Channel 4/5 is a dual Line input on two balanced 1/4-inch jacks. These are ideally suited to handle line-level signals that are either mono or stereo; both are affected identically by the CH Edit controls. All channels have a Trim control with multi-color LED to optimally adjust input signal gain for low noise and distortion. There are also individual FX Mute buttons per channel for cutting just the effects, as well as four overall channel Mute buttons.
Mixer output is handled by a Master out and an Aux out. The Master output can be set to output your combined channel mix either before or after the Master volume knob. As described previously in the Aux section, you can choose from three settings for output to this jack — “Dry: After Preamp”; “Pre: With EQ & Fx”; or “Post: After Fader”.
Audio Interface for PC or Mac
The Bose T1 Tonematch audio engine can also be used as an audio interface for your PC or Mac. Simply plug a USB cable between the T1 and your computer (Type1 - Type2), set your software to record at 48kHz/24 bit, and capture your music and/or vocals utilizing the versatile processing power of the T1. It even works the other way around — you can use the T1’s USB port to play music back from your PC or Mac through your L1 system.
What's In The Box?
- Heavy-duty ToneMatch/L1 Interface Cable
- Mounting Bar and Carriage for Mounting to the L1
- Hard-shell Protective Cover
- Carrying bag