Mopho is a compact and affordable—but powerful—monophonic analog synthesizer. The voice architecture is similar to a single voice of the Prophet ’08, but with a couple of twists to distinguish it from its award-winning sibling. Dave Smith Instruments has added two sub-octave generators—one per oscillator—for additional girth and crushing basses.
Dave Smith Instruments Mopho Desktop Synthesizer Features
- Affordable, fully programmable mono synth with a 100% analog signal path
- Classic, real analog sound – including legendary Curtis analog low-pass filter
- Process external audio through the filter and envelopes
- Monophonic analog synthesizer
- 100% analog signal path
- Two oscillators capable of producing sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle, and variable pulse width square waves, with hard sync
- One classic Curtis low-pass filter (switchable 2- or 4-pole) with audio rate modulation, self-oscillating in 4-pole mode
- Analog VCAs
- Three envelope generators (ADSR plus delay)
- Two sub-octave generators (one octave down and two octaves down)
- Feedback loop with programmable level and gain
- White noise generator
- 4 LFOs
- Gated 16 x 4 step sequencer (one sequence per program)
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator
- Fully programmable with three banks of 128 programs (384 total)
It also has an audio input that lets you process external audio and mix Mopho’s own audio output back in pre-filter for feedback effects that can range from subtle distortion to extreme skronk. The Push It button is a manual trigger that lets you play a specific note or latch notes and sequences on. It can also step through a sequence to play short melodic lines without a keyboard. Of course, Mopho can also be used with a MIDI controller or external sequencer.
Moho is fully programmable and all parameters can be tweaked from the front panel. The four Assignable Parameters controls are assignable per program for optimum performance control. A free editor is available for Mac OS and Windows to facilitate programming. (And if you already have a Prophet ’08, most Mopho parameters can be controlled from the Prophet’s font panel via MIDI).
Mopho is perfect for people who want to learn the ins and outs of real analog synthesis without spending a bundle, DJs looking to add some old school sonic spice to their setups, and musicians who appreciate a great-sounding, very portable mono synth.