The Terminal is EarthQuaker’s take on the elusive vintage JAX fuzz. These units are increasingly hard to come by, and are better known by most of us as the Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz. The Companion Fuzz has a unique buzzy sound, but the lack of output volume and EQ controls is a bummer. So, EarthQuaker has taken the Companion Fuzz design three steps further, adding ‘Voice’ and ‘Treble’ controls, along with twenty stories’ worth of output volume to erect the Terminal. This V2 version is upgraded with silent relay-based switching.
The ‘Voice’ control adjusts the Terminal’s midrange focus and overall frequency response. Clockwise you’ll hear vertigo-inducing upper mids with an almost nasal, cocked-wah quality. Counter-clockwise you’ll find enough low-mid thickness to make even your wildest Siamese Dreams come true.
The ‘Treble’ knob controls the Terminal’s biting top end. This control is especially interactive with the "Voice" knob, so it’s anything but "set and forget". At the low end of the dial, you’ll find muted, subdued fuzz tones that sit back in the mix and play nice. Crank it up, and you’ll hear searing blown-out buzzsaw treble sharp enough to cut glass.
The Terminal’s ‘Fuzz’ control has a wide sweep for causing all sorts of mayhem. Keep the DzFuzzdz low and you’ll find ‘separated’, spitty garage tones, and plenty of ‘satisfaction’, as the Terminal just wants to be your dog. Take the ‘Fuzz’ all the way to the top floor, and you’ll hear a thick, searing grind with a unique attack envelope and loads of sustain. Between these three interactive controls, you’ll find a wide range of fuzz tones at your disposal.
The Terminal is true-bypass, uses archaic all-analog circuitry, and is built one-at-a-time by a team of basketball champions in rubbery Akron, Ohio, USA.
EarthQuaker Devices Terminal V2 Fuzz Features
- Destructive Fuzz Device
- Unique buzzy fuzz sound inspired by vintage and rare JAX Fuzz
- Wide variety of sounds from separated, spitty garage rock tones, to thick searing grind
- ‘Voice’ control adjusts midrange focus and overall frequency response
- ‘Treble’ control adjusts the Terminal’s biting top end
- True bypass
- Silent relay-based switching
- All-analog signal path
- Lifetime guarantee
- Built one-at-a-time by a team of basketball champions in rubbery Akron, Ohio, USA
- Measures: 4.625 x 2.5 x 2.25 inches with knobs
- Power: Takes a standard 9 volt DC power supply with a 2.1mm negative center barrel. We always recommend pedal-specific, transformer-isolated wall-wart power supplies or multiple isolated-output supplies. Pedals will make extra noise if there is ripple or unclean power. Switching-type power supplies, daisy chains and non-pedal specific power supplies do not filter dirty power as well and let through unwanted noise. Do not run at higher voltages!
- Current draw is 10 mA.