In 1958, Gibson made one more change to the classic Les Paul Standard. By discontinuing the traditional gold finish and introducing the new sunburst effect, Gibson created what was to become the most collected guitar today - the Sunburst Standard. Through the 1950's this guitar also received several enhancements including the humbucking pickup, Tune-O-Matic Bridge and Stopbar tailpiece. Today that model has evolved a step further into the ContouR8. A Standard Historic 1958 Les Paul Standard with a contoured heel/neck joint. It features historical appointments like the aniline dye, hide glue neck joint, and long neck tenon.
With the addition of the contoured heel you get easier access to the upper frets. Because of the way the neck heel and the portions of the body and neck joint have been contoured you no longer experience the feeling of the heel, making it easier to play lead and provide upper fret access.
The ContouR8 gives you all the legendary historical appointments of the Les Paul while also providing an unimpeded reach up the entire neck. The result is a perfect marriage between tradition and innovation. As a visual statement and a performing instrument, the ContourR8 has no rivals!
Gibson Custom Standard Historic 1958 Les Paul Contour VOS Features
- 1-Piece Genuine Mahogany Body, 2-Piece Maple Top
- 1-Piece Genuine Mahogany Neck with contoured heel/neck joint
- 1-Piece Rosewood Fingerboard
- Cellulose Trapezoid Inlays
- Nylon Nut
- Kluson Deluxe Reissue Green Key Tuners
- ABR-1 Bridge
- Lightweight Aluminum Stop Bar Tailpiece - Nickel
- Gibson Custom Bucker Neck and Bridge Pickups
- Les Paul Standard Headstock
- Standard Historic Gold Tophat Knobs
- Includes Hardshell Case