There’s just something magical about the buzzy goodness of a guitar plugged right into a Neve preamp, and the Colour Box from JHS allows you to easily put that sound at your feet! It’s the sound that has powered some of the biggest rock ‘n’ roll hits of the past 50 years. The Colour Box puts the tone of those legendary pieces of recording equipment into your guitar rig whether performing live or in the studio. By using 100% analog circuitry that is true to the design and schematic of vintage Neve circuitry, JHS has reproduced everything that makes the Neve preamps magical.
‘Revolution’ by the Beatles, Led Zeppelin’s ‘Black Dog,’ U2, Spoon, Pink Floyd, Motown, Quincy Jones, Nirvana, Steely Dan, Neil Young, Tears For Fears, and Tom Petty (the list is endless), all feature the unmistakable sound of plugging an electric guitar directly into a Neve recording console.
The Colour Box’s two gain stages are in series to produce beautiful clean tones and can also be pushed hard to destroy any signal into a beautiful fuzzy mess. But of course JHS didn’t stop there. With 1/4 inch and XLR inputs and outputs, the Colour Box can also cover all the ground that you would expect a high-quality studio preamp to cover. Whether you’re plugging in your microphone, bass, keyboard, electric, or even your acoustic guitar, make sure you have a Colour Box close by.
JHS Colour Box Preamp Features
Indispensable in the studio
- Replicates the tone heard on such hits as “Cinnamon Girl” and “Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2”
- Pre Volume (labeled "Pre-Vol") can be used the same as you would a Drive knob on an overdrive pedal.
- Step control is a 5-position gain switch that changes the gain of each preamp stage
- Over 39dB of gain on tap for rich harmonics and body
- Neve console sound in a handy pedal format
- Conveniently outfitted with selectable 1/4 inch and XLR inputs and outputs
- Variable Hi Pass circuit (60Hz-800Hz) cuts low frequencies to precisely tailor your tone
- Utilizes the same topology and discrete gain stage found in the Neve 1073
- A high-quality Lundahl transformer adds weight, heft, and a 3D quality to any input source
- Independent outputs split your signal (extremely handy to send a direct signal to front-of-house)
Far from just another fuzz, the Colour Box is also making waves in studios around the world as a top-quality preamp. Go ahead, plug your microphone, bass, keyboard, acoustic, or any other instrument into it. You’ll be greeted with a three-dimensional sound that adds clarity and warmth to your track.
JHS Pedals Colour Box Notes:
Step control increases the gain by the following:
- The Colour Box can be run on any standard 9V or 18V DC Negative power supply (sold separately).
- The Colour Box does not supply phantom power, so you will need to purchase a quality phantom power supply to run in line with your Colour Box if you intend to use a phantom powered microphone or other device.
- The input-selector switch located above the input jack lets you choose line or microphone input. In the down position, it is in Instrument mode. In the up position, it is in XLR mode.
Some Noteworthy ‘Direct In’ Guitar Tones to Check Out:
- 1 is X 18 dB
- 2 is X 23 dB
- 3 is X 28 dB
- 4 is X 33 dB
- 5 is X 39 dB
CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
- ‘Revolution’ the Beatles
- ‘Black Dog’ Led Zeppelin
- ‘The Beast And Dragon, Adored’ Spoon
- ‘Cinnamon Girl’ Neil Young
- ‘Highway 61’ Bob Dylan
- ‘Reelin’ in the Years’ Steely Dan
- ‘Strange Brew’ Cream
- ‘Another Brick in the Wall Part 2’ Pink Floyd
- ‘Bodysnatchers’ Radiohead
- ‘Engines of Creation’ Joe Satriani
- ‘LA Woman’ the Doors
- ‘Territorial Pissings’ Nirvana
- ‘Sgt. Peppers’ the Beatles
- ‘Get Lucky’ Daft Punk
- ‘I’m Coming Out’ Diana Ross
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.