JHS takes the legendary Colour Box and simplifies the controls in a smaller format to create the Crayon! This straightforward pedal harnesses the exact same gritty preamp tones of the Colour Box and puts them in a smaller stomp with a simplified control layout. Three knobs control the gain, output, and tone of the pedal, while a Hi-Pass switch accesses even more aggressive characters. If you’re one of the musicians who is madly in love with those straight-to-console fuzz tones but don’t need all the extras, the JHS Pedals Crayon was made just for you.
Streamlined, simplified, and ferocious
In 1968, the Beatles’ ‘Revolution’ sent a piercing guitar tone through the speakers of the world. This tonal technique of plugging a guitar straight into a mixing console is now referred to as ‘Direct-In Distortion.’ The JHS Pedals Crayon gets you these legendary tones faster and in a more guitarist-friendly way than ever before.
Compact enclosure sits comfortably on any pedalboard
Hi-Pass toggle for more intense settings
- Easy-to-use controls for Master (output volume), Pre-Vol (gain), and Tilt (tone)
- Runs at 9- and 18-volts (Recommend 9V. It just sounds better.)
- Hi-Pass toggle cuts low frequencies to precisely tailor your tone
- 200Hz and 750Hz frequency switch located on the side determines which frequencies are cut
- Run the Pre-Vol control low for a clean tonal enhancement for your rig
- Drop the Pre-Vol and crank the Master for a powerful clean boost
- Utilize the Tilt and Hi-Pass controls, turning the Crayon into a versatile EQ pedal
- Even at full fuzz, back off your guitar volume and be astounded with how well the pedal cleans up
If you like the sound you’re getting from your Crayon but want to take it a step further, just flip on the Hi-Pass toggle switch. You’re immediately greeted with a drop of low frequencies that gives your tone an even more aggressive attitude with extra teeth. You’ll also find a side-mounted frequency switch to dictate how much low-end content is shelved.
More than meets the eye
Like a lot of JHS pedals, just because this pedal is loaded with great fuzz tones doesn’t mean there isn’t a whole lot more to be discovered. Remember, the Crayon is designed after classic console preamps, not another dirt box. So why not see what else it has to offer?