001 is a synth soloist’s dream machine and a sound designer’s dream come true! The Modal 001 features two high-resolution NCO oscillators per voice (plus two sub oscillators), Modal designed four-pole transistor ladder filter with real analogue morphing, VCA, two LFOs, 2
modulation matrices and very powerful Sequencer and Arpeggiator.
The hardware has been manufactured with high-quality components: FATAR semi-weighted
three octave key mechanism with aftertouch, white metal case, aluminum turned encoders
and high quality 4.3” LCD screen.
Among the many connections, Modal 001 features an ethernet port to connect your synth to
your network and enable updates via the internet (no need for MIDI sysex dumps) and also
access to the Modal cloud features and HTML Web User Interface.
Modal Electronics 001 Hyrid Synthesizer Features
- Modal 001 is a 2 voice duo phonic and bi timbral synthesiser utilising the same voice architecture as its bigger brother 002
- Two oscillators per voice with two sub oscillators, which can be switched from being either traditional square wave to having the same waveform as the main oscillator – in effect making four oscillators per voice
- Analogue / digital hybrid architecture uses NCOs for very high resolution, and very stable oscillators. Over 50 different waveforms, ranging from classic analogue sounds to more unique digital shapes
- Modal Electronics designed 24dB per octave four pole transistor ladder filter, with some very unusual morphing characteristics or ‘polesweeping’, enabling transition from four pole through bandpass to one pole 6db per octave, or anywhere in between
- Two LFO’s, one per voice and one global
- Extensive modulation options
- 001 features a range of sequencing options – a built in 2 Track, 12 row, 32 step sequencer with MIDI sync capabilities. Sequences can also be transposed dynamically while running
- A very highly featured arpeggiator with a wide range of different modes, including ‘hold’ mode, enabling arpeggiator-based sequences to be created
- The Modal Electronics Animator, which enables any control parameter on the 001 to be sequenced, enabling very complex filter transisitions, wave form changes and modulation matrix changes to be sequenced
- Ethernet port to connect your 001 to your network and enable updates via the internet (no more midi sysex dumps) and access to the Modal Electronics cloud features
- Superb UI, a great departure from the norm of synthesisers, featuring a very high quality 4.3″ screen with wide viewing angle, display is context sensitive where the control parameters of any control knob that is touched by the user, is immediately displayed
- 6 ‘quick recall banks’ are accessible directly from the front panel, enabling performing musicians to get rid of their set sheets and build set lists of presets, sequences and animations, all quickly accessible from dedicated front panel buttons. Up to ten banks of quick recalls can be created, making live performance a doddle
- VCF and VCA envelope generators
- Three Key Modes – Polyphonic, Monophonic and Stack
- Very high quality construction, uses a premium FATAR semi-weighted three octave key mechanism with aftertouch
- Most voice control parameters are accessible from a well-designed and intuitive front panel, that follows a traditional synthesiser work flow
- Pure analogue signal path from the oscillators onwards, no digital conversion.
- 4 CV inputs and 4 CV outputs
- Optional Digital Output board providing multi voice outputs over USB (Class Compliant) with FX available 2016.
- Two audio inputs enabling audio processing from the VCF onwards plus external MIDI in and out
- XY joystick for performance controls – any control parameter can be assigned to any joystick axis (X+, X-, Y+, Y-)
Taking a technical trip beneath its beautifully-designed bonnet, each of those two voices has two 002 NCOs (Numerically-Controlled Oscillators) —
Osc1 and Osc2, combining to enable exceptionally high resolution and stability with wide-ranging waveform selections — with two 002 sub-oscillators,
each capable of following those primary NCOs to effectively enable four oscillators per voice. Thereafter, the true pure analogue ladder VCF
(Voltage-Controlled Filter) features Modal Electronics’ unique filter Slope mode, making hardware morphing of the filter through a range of modes a
breeze to work with and delight to listen to. Thanks to Modal Electronics’ impressively innovative OS with the same 4.3-inch full-colour, context-sensitive
display to die for found on the 002, Modal Electronics’ proprietary Animator allows for monumental modulation flexibility, bringing 12 animated ‘rows’
of parameter sequencing into productive play. Speaking of sequencing, the onboard Sequencer supplies two tracks of 32 steps, each with up to 12
notes/parameters, providing polyphonic part playback.