Modal 002R is 12 voice analogue-digital hybrid synthesizer. It features two high-resolution NCO oscillators per voice (plus two sub oscillators), Modal designed four-pole transistor ladder filter with real analogue morphing, VCA, two LFOs, 2 modulation matrices and very powerful Sequencer and Arpeggiator.
The hardware has been manufactured to fit in a 3U 19” rack and features a high quality steel
chassis, aluminum turned encoders and high quality 4.3” LCD screen.
Among the many connections, Modal 002R features an ethernet port to connect your synth
to your network and enable updates via the internet (no need for MIDI sysex dumps) and also
access to the Modal cloud features and HTML Web User Interface.
Modal Electronics 002R 12 Voice Analog Digital Hybrid Synthesizer Features
- 002R provides either eight or twelve discrete voices of polyphonywith full multi-timbrality if desired
- Two oscillators per voice with two sub oscillators, which can be switched from being either traditional square wave to having the same waveform as the main oscillator – in effect making four oscillators per voice
- Analogue / digital hybrid architecture uses NCOs for very high resolution, and very stable oscillators. Over 50 different waveforms, ranging from classic analogue sounds to more unique digital shapes
- Modal Electronics designed 24dB per octave four pole transistor ladder filter, with some very unusual morphing characteristics or ‘polesweeping’, enabling transition from four pole through bandpass to one pole 6db per octave, or anywhere in between
- Two LFO’s, one per voice and one global
- Extensive modulation options
- 002R features a range of sequencing options – a built in 12 Track, 12 row, 32 step sequencer with MIDI sync capabilities. Sequences can also be transposed dynamically while running
- A very highly featured arpeggiator with a wide range of different modes, including ‘hold’ mode, enabling arpeggiator-based sequences to be created
- The Modal Electronics Animator, which enables any control parameter on the 002 to be sequenced, enabling very complex filter transisitions, wave form changes and modulation matrix changes to be sequenced
- Ethernet port to connect your 002R to your network and enable updates via the internet (no more midi sysex dumps) and access to the Modal Electronics cloud features
- Superb UI, a great departure from the norm of synthesisers, featuring a very high quality 4.3″ screen with wide viewing angle
- 12 ‘quick recall banks’ are accessible directly from the front panel, enabling performing musicians to get rid of their set sheets and build set lists of presets, sequences and animations, all quickly accessible from dedicated front panel buttons. Up to ten banks of quick recalls can be created, making live performance a doddle
- VCF and VCA envelope generators
- Four Key Modes – Polyphonic, Monophonic, Unison and Stack
- Voice control parameters are easily accessible using the Modal Quick Navigate dials to quickly control page, parameter and value. These dials are also user assignable to single or multiple parameters to create complex macro knobs.
- The power of 002R becomes really apparent when used with the Modal Web Interface, no need for a plugin, use any HTML5 compatible web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox etc.) on any platform that supports a browser – laptop, desktop, tablet or phone! for full control and editing of all of 002R’s functions
- Pure analogue signal path from the oscillators onwards, no digital conversion.
- Optional Digital Output board providing multi voice outputs over USB (Class Compliant) with FX available 2016.
- Two audio inputs enabling audio processing from the VCF onwards plus external MIDI in and out
- Fits into a 3U 19″ audio rack
When designing 002R, Modal Electronics decided to make it fully patch compatible with 002. Voices can be
played in unison or ‘stacked’ for more complex timbres. The Animator allows for monumental modulation flexibility, bringing 12 animated
‘rows’ of parameter sequencing into productive play. Speaking of sequencing, the onboard Sequencer supplies two tracks of 32 steps,
each with up to 12 notes/parameters, providing polyphonic part playback. Performance-wise, an advanced Arpeggiator abounds with
multiple modes and features to musically die for.
Front panel access to all the key features needed for studio and live usage are all present and accounted for — for example, Quick Recall
of preferred presets and instant part Select (in multitimbral mode). Modal Electronics’ proprietary Quick Navigate functions allow any edit
page, parameter on a page, and associated values to be instantly edited using the three ‘macro’ keys.