Serato + Roland TR-SYNC Free Update Now Available!
Seamlessly add the legendary sound of Roland’s iconic drum machines to Serato DJ Pro setups with TR-SYNC update for TR-8, TR-8S, TR-08, and TR-09
Roland announces updates to its iconic TR-8, TR-8S, TR-08, and TR-09 drum machines, making them Serato DJ OSA-ready. This new functionality, named TR-SYNC, is now available as part of the latest Serato DJ Pro 2.1.1 update and allows DJs to effortlessly match the BPM of the TR drum machines with tracks playing on Serato DJ Pro. TR-SYNC lets DJs easily add their own drum loops to songs with the same Roland drum sounds used on the most popular tracks of yesterday and today, giving them the ability to flip genres, beef up classic hits, remix, and transition between songs in new ways.
To connect the Roland TR drum machine, plug the USB from the TR drum machine to the computer running the latest version of Serato DJ Pro with supported hardware, and then connect the audio output to an available input on the DJ mixer or controller. Because Serato DJ Pro takes care of the sync, DJs can focus on their performance and new creative possibilities.
Once DJs have mastered the basics of mixing and performance, adding a drum machine to the mix gives them a chance to stand out from the pack and expand their creative options substantially. DJs can layer complimentary rhythms over an existing track or use an acapella with loops they’ve created to bring brand-new on-the-fly remixes to life. Adding the TR drum sounds can make classic songs sound “bigger” and can bridge music libraries across different genres. Instead of relying solely on record pools DJs can now create their own signature edits and remixes for truly unique DJ sets.
free TR-SYNC update is now supported in Serato DJ Pro, and firmware updates for Roland’s TR drum machines are also available.
Roland TR-8 Rhythm Performer
The Roland TR-8 is a performance rhythm machine that melds the legendary sound and vibe of the TR-808 and TR-909 with features and functions for the modern age. Genre-defining sounds, classic effects, unprecedented live pattern manipulation, and solid, intuitive performance controls. It’s the TR...evolved.
Roland TR-8 Rhythm Performer Features
- 16 stunning kits made up of 11 instrument types, including custom dream kits that use both TR-808 and TR-909 sounds
- Large Tempo knob with Tap Tempo button and continuous Fine and Shuffle adjustment knobs
- Control the intensity of the Accent function with a dedicated knob
- Per-step reverb and delay effects with dedicated knobs
- Mix sources connected to the External In jacks with built-in per-step Side Chain function for rhythmic ducking and gating effects
- Scatter lets you freak and tweak your grooves with real-time control and perfect sync
- 7 segment, 4 character LED display and 16 per-step pads with bold, full-color LEDs
- Real-time pattern creation up to 32 steps with on-the-fly step count adjustment
- Rec/Play modes have been eliminated, enabling seamless switching between step input and real-time pattern making and performance
- Real-time play of 4 different types of rolls (8th, 16th, VARI 1, VARI 2) and per-instrument mutes
- Pattern copy and pattern randomization for rapid, spontaneous creativity
- Two assignable analog outputs and full parallel outputs via USB for total mixing flexibility
- Full reproduction of the classic TR-808 and TR-909 rhythm machines
- Newly developed Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology allows part-by-part analyses and faithful recreation of tonality and behavior
- Obsessive attention to detail, such as reproducing the original TR’s unique variations in tone that occur when multiple instruments are entered in accented steps
- Authentic 16-step sequencer with faithful TR-REC behavior, including A and B pattern variations and the ability to play instruments and record to steps in real time
Unleashed upon an unsuspecting world in the 1980s, the TR-808 and TR-909 produce arguably the most influential drum sounds in modern music. Not only have they appeared on thousands of dance tracks over the course of three decades, they’ve helped define the sound of entire musical genres. From rap and house to techno and trance, the TR-808 and TR-909 have left an indelible mark on the art and culture of music.
In developing the TR-8, Roland obsessively analyzed and faithfully recreated every detail and nuance of the analog circuitry of these legendary rhythm machines—the boom and snap of the 808; the thud of the 909; the robotic click of an 808 rim shot or a classic 909 snare roll. It’s all here. But not content with mere recreations, Roland enhanced these classic instruments with capabilities that go far beyond the original units.
Tune and Decay knobs are now present on every instrument, and the Bass Drum and Snare Drum have additional controls such as Attack, Snappy, and Comp. This allows for a wide variety of tones, from subtle ambient percussion to pounding dance grooves. Per-step effects and the massively addictive Scatter function take things into entirely new territory.
Make no mistake—the TR-8 has been carefully designed from the ground up as an instrument to be played. Every control has a solid, predictable feel, with each drum instrument having robust, “playable” faders. Numerous lighted knobs and RGB buttons give both real-time performance feedback and a striking appearance on stage.
Pattern creation is creative and intuitive using an evolved version of the TR-REC method, which originated in the TR-808 and eventually became the standard for electronic rhythm programming. Based on detailed analysis of the original TR-808, the TR-REC behavior has been faithfully modeled in the TR-8. But the TR-8 goes well beyond the original, allowing you to seamlessly switch between programming and performance modes, and to introduce lots of groovy rhythmic variations from subtle snare fills to total glitch meltdowns.
What is Scatter?
Scatter is a unique performance function that gives you detailed real-time control over variations in your patterns and any incoming external input signal.
A Few More Things
- Scatter can reverse, glitch, gate, truncate, stutter, and perform all manner of rhythmic variations from subtle to extreme, and all in perfect sync
- Pick from 10 different types of Scatter and smoothly adjust the intensity—or 'Scatter Depth'—with the large, comfortable dial
- Seamlessly switch between Scatter patterns and quickly toggle Scatter on/off for cool variations when and where you want them
The TR-8 looks great and is designed to work seamlessly with other products in the AIRA series. In addition, you can connect the TR-8 to your computer via USB to send and receive both audio and MIDI data, including MIDI clock information for syncing with external devices and other AIRA units.