Featuring breakthrough modeling technology, the Sphere L22™ microphone system provides you with your microphone dream collection. The Sphere L22™ microphone system from Townsend Labs models the characteristics of the most sought-after large-diaphragm condenser microphones with amazing accuracy and allows selection of different mics and patterns even after tracking.
The Sphere® system consists of a high precision dual channel microphone, which when paired with the included Sphere plug-in (UAD, VST, AU, AAX Native) accurately models the response of a wide range of mics, including transient response, harmonics, proximity effect and three-dimensional polar response.
Now You Can:
Breakthrough Microphone Modeling Technology
- Record with the sound of microphones many have only dreamt about
- Change mic type, polar pattern, and other microphone characteristics, even after tracking!
- Audition the sound of different microphones without tiring the vocalist
- Reduce bleed, undesirable room coloration, and other common issues using Off-Axis Correction™
- Record in stereo from a single microphone
Sphere’s three-dimensional approach captures the spatial nuances, proximity effect and off-axis frequency response of a wide range of microphones, which until now was not possible with any other product.
Access some of the most prized microphones of all time, including a 47 (with VF14 tube), a 67, an M49, and a C12.
Sphere L22 Microphone
The Sphere system employs the high-resolution, dual-channel L22 large-diaphragm condenser microphone, custom designed to capture the three-dimensional soundfield with exacting detail. Manufactured to extremely tight tolerances, the L22 ensures that modeling is consistent and accurate.
Realtime UAD Processing
With Universal Audio Apollo, achieve extremely low latency (approx. 1.6ms round trip at
96kHz) for guaranteed real-time performance. Also supports native AAX, VST and AU.
Polar Pattern Modeling
Because Sphere captures the three-dimensional response of target microphones, it
precisely emulates the polar patterns and other off-axis characteristics of vintage
microphones which are essential to their unique sound.
Re-Mic Sphere Tracks
Select mic type, polar pattern and other settings both before and after tracking.
Adjustable Proximity Effect
No need to move a microphone solely because of too little or too much bass due to
proximity effect. Great for punching in a vocal where distance from the mic varies from
take to take.
Dual Mic Models
Dual Mode in the Sphere plug-in makes possible phase-coherent mixing of multiple
virtual mic models from the same physical microphone, before or after tracking. It's also
possible to adjust the relative phase alignment of the two mics with the Align control.\
Record In Stereo (With One Mic)
With just one Sphere L22 mic it’s possible to make coincident stereo recordings, and even
have different mic models on the left and right channels, using the Sphere 180 plug-in.
This track was recorded with one Sphere microphone and processed only
using the Sphere 180 plug-in first with the LD-47 and then with the LD-12 mic model.
Virtually rotate the axis of the mic to give a more off-axis sound before or after tracking.
Create more accurate polar patterns to reduce bleed, room coloration, and susceptibility
of feedback before or after tracking.
The Sphere plug-in features a visually informative (and very cool) Polar Meter that
dynamically displays the direction and level of sound being picked up by the microphone,
as well as the currently selected polar pattern.
The microphone hardware has a self-noise level of 7dB-A SPL, well below most vintage
microphones and comparable to many of the best modern microphones.
High SPL Handling
The L22 can handle in excess of 140dB SPL before clipping and is remarkably rugged. It
won’t be damaged by high SPLs or air blasts as some vintage microphones can be.
All modeled product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated
or affiliated with Townsend Labs Inc. These product names and descriptions are provided for the sole
purpose of identifying the specific products that were studied during Sphere’s sound model
Townsend Labs Sphere L22 Precision Microphone Modeling System Includes
CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
- Sphere L22 Microphone – high precision, dual-capsule, large-diaphragm condenser studio microphone, which can be used with or without modeling
- Bundled Accessories
- 10 Foot (3 Meter) Breakout Cable
- Shock Mount
- Swivel Mount
- Hard Carrying Case
- Plush Dust Cover
- Sphere Plug-in
- Sphere® Core plug-in – accurately models a wide range of the most sought-after microphones in the world.
- Re-Mic technology – allows the user to change the mic type and polar pattern even after tracking.
- New patented features – including Off-Axis Correction™, which can produce more accurate polar patterns for reduced bleed, room coloration, and feedback.
- Supports a wide range of plug-in formats – including UAD, VST2, VST3, Audio Units, and AAX Native on Mac and Windows. Voucher included for free UAD Sphere plug-in.
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.