The Tone Beast is a great mic pre with loads of gain that can effortlessly capture an array of sources very well. With top notch CineMag transformers and multiple discrete signal paths, it's hard to beat its big, bold, fully-professional sound at its price.
The Tone Beast is a mic pre that likes to be pushed and when pushed will colorize your signal ever so sweetly. The 2 opamps and 2 output transformers at the flip of their switches won't appear to be much different, but as one drives the pre into harmonic distortion, the unique character of each of these components becomes apparent. Additionally the Tone Beast is customizable and allows for other opamps to be sourced and easily swapped into the unit.
Achieve some the best tones from this pre right at the saturation point (as loud as the gain can be pushed before clipping). The output control on the TB12 allows you to limit the signal exiting the preamp even when pushing the gain to really hot levels, giving you maximum control.
Tone Shaping Mic Preamp w/ DI - Made Affordable
Warm Audio’s goal was to make a microphone preamplifier affordable for the first time, without compromising the quality and design parameters that make this type of microphone preamplifier so desirable.
Warm Audio TB12 Tone Beast Discrete Microphone Preamp Features
- Utilizes premium grade CineMag USA Transformers
- 71db of gain
- Transformer selection provides both Steel and 50% Nickel CineMag output transformers for varying character
- Transformer bypass switch allows for removal of the output transformer from the circuit
- Discrete Opamp selection allows for choosing between a 1731(vintage) and 918(cleaner) style opamp. These are socketed/swappable with your choice of 2520 6 pin footprint opamps
- Impedance switch labeled TONE to switch between 150 and 600 ohms input impedance
- 2 Meg Ohm True HI-Z input on front panel sends instrument signal through entire circuit including both Cinemag Transformers and the discrete operational amplifier. Great for guitars, bass, keyboards and other instruments that have a 1/4 inch output jack
- Capacitor selection between Tantalum and Electrolytic for different characters
- 80hz hipass filter
- Polarity Reverse
- +48V phantom power
- Output attenuation allowing for saturation flexibility of both the opamps and transformers
- 1/4-inch insert for the use of inline compressors, eq's etc
- Balanced XLR mic (front and back), balanced TRS line, and 1/4-inch instrument inputs
- Balanced XLR and TRS outputs
- -20db Pad
- LED VU Meter
- 19 inch rackmountable
- External line-lump 24V AC power transformer for low noise