Make history with the next generation of professional field recorders, the Zoom F8n. Zoom developed the F8n with the tools to create something exceptional. Sound engineers appreciate the professional features such as Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters, Zoom AutoMix™, and mic/line options for both XLR and TRS inputs.
ZOOM F8n 8-Channel Multi-Track Recorder Features
A Recorder You Can Depend On. Every Day.
- 8-channel/10-track field audio recorder/mixer
- 8 discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Compact and lightweight aluminum chassis, weighing just 2 pounds (without batteries)
- High quality mic preamps with up to 75 dB gain and less than -127 dBu EIN
- Switchable +4dB inputs with mic/line options for both XLR and TRS
- Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters
- Zoom AutoMix™ software
- Support for up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording and 44.1 kHz, plus 47.952 kHz/48.048 kHz for HD video compatibility; 16-/24-bit resolution
- Accurate Time Code (0.2 ppm when on and up to 0.2 ppm when powered off) I/O on standard BNC connectors; dropframe/non-drop formats with Jam Sync
- Three different power supply options: 8x AA batteries, external DC battery pack with Hirose connector, or 12V AC adapter (AA’s and DC battery pack not included)
- Dedicated gain control knob, 6-segment LED level meter, and PFL/Solo switch for each channel
- High pass filter, phase invert, and Mid-Side decoder
- Input delay of up to 30 msec per channel / output delay of up to 10 frames per output
- Compatible with Zoom microphone capsules; optional extender cable enables re-mote positioning
- Dual mini-XLR (TA3) balanced Main Outs plus ?" stereo mini-jack Sub Out
- Dedicated headphone output (100 mW) with front panel volume control
- 2.4" full-color backlit LCD with monochromatic mode
- Dedicated PFL display with viewable trim settings
- Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512 GB each
- Records in BWF-compliant WAV or MP3 file formats
- Support for extensive metadata (BWF and iXML); input time, date, project, scene number, etc.
- Built-in slate mic/slate tone with front panel switch
- Use as an 8-in/4-out USB audio interface (@ 96 kHz)
- Free Zoom F8 Control App for iOS allows wireless remote control, file renaming, and metadata entry
"When you’re putting together a kit, you shouldn’t have to compromise. I don’t think there’s anything that I couldn’t do with the F8n."
–Anne Tolkkinen | Sound Designer
Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters
The F8n is equipped with Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters that provide overload protection no matter what comes your way. By adding a 1 millisecond delay, the limiters “look ahead” antic-ipating clipping before it’s recorded. Limiting is applied to each of the 8 channels simultaneously at full resolution, with 10 to 20 dB of headroom to ensure pristine audio on every take.
The F8n features a super-low noise floor (−127 dBu EIN) and high gain (up to 75 dB). Mic/line levels are selectable for both XLR and TRS inputs.
Meet your new assistant sound editor, the Zoom AutoMix™. This smart software auto-matically adjusts the levels of your mix to reduce the amount of ambient sound, so you can focus on what really matters – capturing a well-balanced mix.
State-Of-The-Art Time Code
The F8n utilizes a Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator (TCXO) that generates time code at 0.2 ppm accuracy, enabling rock-solid syncing of audio and video. When powered off, the F8n will maintain a 0.2 ppm accuracy. Time code I/O is provided on BNC connectors.
The F8n can record to an SD card and your computer via USB simultaneously. And you can easily back up your files and stream live while recording.
Dual SD Card Recording
Record simultaneously on two SD/SDHC/SDXC cards, up to 512 GB each, allowing for redun-dant recording.
Three Power Sources
A 4-pin Hirose connector allows the use of external 9-18 volt DC battery packs. Power can also be provided by 8 AA batteries or the AD-19 AC adapter included with your device. The F8n can switch power sources at a user-defined voltage level for uninterrupted recording.
The F8n’s dual-channel recording mode allows you to create safety tracks by doubling up the recordings from inputs 1-4 onto tracks 5-8. Tracks can be controlled independently, allowing you to customize each safety track with different gain, limiting, and more.
The pre-record function allows you to capture up to 6 seconds of audio before you hit the REC-ORD button.
Louder, Cleaner, and Clearer Monitoring
Volume, clarity, and immersion are equally important for proper monitoring in the field. That’s why updates have been made to the F8n’s headphone processing to maximize all three. A digital gain boost has been added to minimize ambient bleed, which can cause comb filtering resulting in poor audio quality.
Signals can be freely routed to the left and/or right headphone channels, pre- or post-fader. Addi-tionally, the headphone output can be switched to mono. You also can set headphone alert tones for low battery, recording start/stop, or recording errors.
Andrew Jones | Location
Tour the F8n
A) Display: The F8n’s 2.4-inch full-color backlit display with monochromatic mode makes field work equally easy in low or direct lighting.
iOS Wireless Control
B) Slate Switch: The F8n has a built-in slate mic for recording comments as well as the abil-ity to output a variable frequency tone signal.
C) Transport Controls: The control panel features stop, search forward and search back-ward keys as well as illuminated play/pause and record buttons.
D) Input controls: Each input features a built-in preamp with a dedicated gain control knob and a 6-segment LED level meter.
E) USB Port: A USB port enables firmware updates, file transfer, and allows the F8n to be used as an 8-in/4-out USB audio interface operating at sample rates up to 96 kHz.
F) Inputs: The F8n provides 8 discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo con-nectors, allowing you to plug in any microphone, wireless pack, or line level device. Any input can also be used as a camera return.
G) SD Card Slot: Record on two SD/SDHC/SDXC cards, up to 512 GB each, simultaneous-ly, allowing you to instantly backup or split recordings.
H) Headphone Jack: The unit’s 1/4" headphone jack also comes with dedicated volume control.
I) Main Outputs: The F8n provides four outputs: two Main Outs (on balanced TA3 mini-XLR jacks) for connection to external mixers and processing devices; and two Sub Outs (on a single unbalanced 1/8" stereo mini-jack) for connection to a camera. The F8n also pro-vides a selectable +4 dBu output.
J) DC Power In: The F8n can be powered by a 9-18V external DC power supply.
K) Time Code In/Out: Timecode can be generated internally or transmitted from an external timecode generator.
L) 10-Pin Mic Connector: Our proprietary 10-pin connector enables the use of interchange-able Zoom mic capsules, with optional extension cables that allow for remote positioning.
The Zoom F8 Control App for iOS provides extensive wireless remote control of the F8n from your iPhone or iPad using Bluetooth LE protocol. Functions include mixer pan and fader levels as well transport controls. It also monitors input levels, current time code, and battery status. When you’re finished, you can even enter file and metadata info directly from your iOS device.
Sold separately, the Zoom F-Control is the control surface that no serious rig is complete without. With 60mm faders and clear channel indicators, the F-Control’s simple, ergonomic design gives you complete authority over your workflow. Pair your F-Control with the Zoom F8 Control App to turn your iPhone or iPad into a large-scale meter monitor for easy reading.
File formats, resolution, and sample rates
The F8n records in BWF-compatible WAV formats up to 24-bit resolution and at sample rates up to 192 kHz. When recording files in MP3, you can choose bit rates of 128, 192, or 320 kbps.
Full Metadata entry is available including track name, scene names, notes, and more. Use your smartphone or tablet to enter your data via the Zoom F8 Control App for iOS or input it directly on the F8n.
The F8n features flexible signal routing from all inputs to all outputs. In addition to advanced hy-brid limiters, the F8n also provides high-pass filtering to reduce the sound of wind and other noise, plus phase inversion and Mid-Side decoding. Input and output delays are also available.
360° Audio - Ambisonics
Capable of recording 360-audio, the F8n is a must-have for engineers of the future. The F8n’s Ambisonics mode features A to B decoding, gain and settings linking, and a customized metering screen.
The VR Dream Team
For the ultimate VR rig, pair the Zoom F8n with a Sennheiser AMBEO mic. Built for mobility and backed by two quality names, this combination lets you capture premium 360-audio anywhere
It’s time to make history.
Supervising Sound Designer
Location Sound Engineer