Heard on countless recordings! The COMP554 MK2 is a one channel vintage style compressor for the 500 format. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors and transistors. The input and output are transformer balanced and the unit also uses a third interstage transformer.
Golden Age Project COMP554 MK2 500 Series Vintage Style Compressor
- A soft start circuit that ramps up the supply voltage slowly (about 10 sec.) to avoid a power on current surge.
- A great sound that suits most sound sources and genres.
- The EQ73 has stepped frequency controls that offers a wide selection of frequencies from 20 Hz to 24 kHz.
- The Low and High frequency bands are shelving and the mid frequency band is of the bell type.
- The control range is +/-15 dB for the two lower bands and +/- 18dB for the high frequency band.
- There are separate bypass switches for all three bands.
- The EQ73 is made to be used together with one of our PRE73 models that has an Insert jack. It can also be used with many other units that has a low level insert jack.
- Combining a PRE73 and an EQ73, and using a UNITE rack kit to mount them together, one will get a 19inch 1073 style unit at a low cost and with a great sound
This is the way audio components were built before integrated circuits became available. IC ´s are small and cheap and they are widely used in most modern designs. It is clear though that audio components built with modern technology does not always provide the best perceived sound quality or character that the modern user desires.
On the contrary, the subjective sound quality delivered by vintage equipment is often preferred over the one delivered by modern units. This is the reason why so many vintage audio components are cloned and produced again and also why the vintage originals are often very expensive on the second hand market.
The class A circuit used in the COMP554 MK2 is similar to the one in the classic 2254 compressor that was designed in 1969. It quickly became a legend due to its totally unique sound character that is warm, smooth, sweet and musical.
These characteristics have been heard on countless recordings through the years and it is a versatile sound that works very well on many sound sources and in many genres. The essence of this sound is now available at a surprisingly low cost, making it available to nearly everyone.
CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.