The Royer Labs R-10 is a passive ribbon microphone that can handle pressure levels up to 160 dB. With it’s flat frequency response, well balanced sound field as well as it’s compact size and mounting configuration, the R-10 is a great fit in any studio or live application.
Plosives aren't a problem with the R-10, Royer Labs has developed a multi-layered wind screen that provides superior protection from air blasts. The wind screen also helps reduce proximity effect which helps close miking guitar cabinets and acoustic instruments without the muddy build-up in the low end. The open grill configuration minimizes standing waves and associated comb-filtering effects.
The ribbon transducer has a newly designed internal shock mount which isolates the ribbon from shocks and vibrations. This new feature adds a rugged quality to the microphone and greatly increases the ribbons durability.
The R-10 is a perfect match for electric guitars, brass instruments, acoustic instruments, drums, and room miking. It’s figure-8 response captures a smooth representation of the direct source as well as natural ambience of the room.
With the ability to handle such high SPL, you can have the R-10 right over a drum set or next to a screaming electric guitar cabinet and not have to worry about any extra distortion or damaging the ribbon.
The R-10 has a patented offset-ribbon design which positions the ribbon towards the front of the transducer allowing higher SPL levels to be achieved on the front side of the microphone. The rear side of the microphone offers a brighter frequency response on lower SPL sound sources.
The dBooster is a phantom-powered ribbon and dynamic microphone signal booster and impedance buffer. It increases the level of passive low-output ribbon and dynamic microphones with a minimum of distortion or coloration. Designed for professional applications, the dBooster provides two levels of clean gain boost; 12 dB and 20 dB, selectable by a front panel switch. The dBooster maintains headroom and gain regardless of load. The Class A input circuitry presents a high source impedance to the microphone, which minimizes loading (damping). This reduces coloration and distortion while at the same time improving headroom. By utilizing the 12/20 dB gain switch, optimum balance between gain and headroom can be achieved for a variety of uses. The low-impedance output of the dBooster is an increased microphone-level signal that can drive a digital interface directly or a standard microphone preamplifier. It also minimizes signal loss on long cable runs.
Royer Labs R-10 Large Element Mono Ribbon Mic Features
- High SPL capability for electric guitar, brass and other close miking applications
- Multi-layered wind screen provides superior protection to ribbon element
- Internally shock-mounted ribbon transducer gives increased durability
- Passive design and custom transformer minimize high SPL overload
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high-frequency peaks, “ringing” and phase shifts
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of the element
R-10 Recommended Applications
- Close miking in the studio and on live stages
- Electric & acoustic guitars
- Drum overheads, kick drum (see manual for position),
- room miking
- Percussion instruments
- Brass, horn sections
- Strings - solo & sections
- Acoustic piano
- 12 dB and 20 dB gain stages
- High input impedance
- Low output impedance
- Rugged case construction
- Ultra-low noise performance
- Ultra-low distortion
- Wide frequency bandwidth
- Safe for use on all ribbon mics
- Increases headroom at the preamp
- Provides true electrical isolation
- Protects ribbon mics from phantom-power
- Minimizes mic loading
- Capable of driving difficult loads, such as mic splitters and vintage style preamps, without increased distortion or loss of gain