Not content to rest on their laurels, Warm's engineers were driven to improve the WA-87 in tangible ways without raising the price. The result is the new WA-87 R2 (Revision 2). It's everything you know and love about the original, just bigger, bolder and just plain better!
Updated and Upgraded
In 2016, Warm Audio introduced one of the most talked-about 87-style FET condenser microphones in the industry with the release of the WA-87, and at just $599, it made the looks and authentic vintage sonics of this style of mic affordable for the very first time. Simply put, the release of the WA-87 changed the industry’s perception of what could be achieved at an affordable price.
Based on classic 60s circuitry, the original WA-87’s rich sound became a favorite of countless producers, engineers, and home recordists everywhere.
Warm Audio WA-87 R2 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Features
A Faithful Reproduction with Top-Shelf Components
- Large diaphragm studio condenser microphone, with a faithful reproduction of the original vintage 87-style circuit.
- All discrete premium components, including NOS Fairchild transistors and WIMA/Nichicon capacitors.
- Custom Cinemag USA output transformer.
- WA-87-B-50V capsule—reproduction of classic dual backplate (four-wire termination) K87 capsule.
- Nickel-plated brass body
- Three polar patterns: cardioid, figure-of-eight, and omnidirectional
- -10dB pad and 80Hz high pass filter
- Frequency response: 20Hz – 20kHz
- SPL: .5% THD @ 125dB (without pad), 132dB
- Diaphragm: 6-micron thickness, gold-sputtered membrane, NOS mylar (PET film)
- Noise: -117dB
- Included accessories: wooden storage case, hard mount, and shock mount.
- Weight: 6 lbs / 2.5 kg
The WA-87 is based on a classic 60s circuit that is widely considered to be one of the greatest studio microphones ever designed. Warm spent countless hours trying to get even closer to the sound of the vintage version, so the new WA-87 R2 uses top-quality components like a NOS Fairchild transistor and high-bandwidth polystyrene and film capacitors from Wima. The WA-87 R2 uses a custom-wound Cinemag USA output transformer like the original WA-87 did, with the new version providing a slightly increased output level and improved frequency response. Warm also employed the same capsule the WA-87 uses, which was designed to the exact specifications of the ones found in the vintage mics. The result is an incredibly accurate sonic replica of arguably the widest-used studio microphone in popular recording history.
The Most Versatile Mic in Your Locker
Just like the vintage microphone, the WA-87 R2 excels at recording virtually anything. Three polar patterns (cardioid, omni, and figure 8) make sure you’re covered for a wide variety of applications, and an 80Hz high pass filter reduces low-frequency rumble if needed. The switchable -10dB pad comes in handy when you want to record extremely loud sources and not overload the internal electronics.
The WA-87 R2 works brilliantly on vocals, drum overheads, guitars, piano, auxiliary percussion, brass, strings, and more. Not only that, it’s the same price as the original WA-87, so you can afford to have several in your mic locker!
Stunning in Sound and Appearance
The WA-87 R2 is now encased in a heavier, stronger and larger nickel-plated brass body, and the new rounded head basket shape adds additional space around the capsule for a more pleasing sonic signature.