D'Addario XL Electric Guitar strings are world-renowned as The Player's Choice amongst gutiar players of all genres and styles. XL strings are wound with nickel-plated steel, known for it's distinctive bright tone and excellent intonation.
- Round wound
- Nickel-plated steel wrap wire
- Bright, true sound
D'Addario String Alloy/Tone Glossary
Electric and acoustic guitar strings, as well as all of their bass strings are produced by winding a wrap wire around a high-carbon steel hexcore wire. The type of alloy used as the wrap wire determines the tonal quality of the strings. Here's a quick reference guide:
- D'Addarios XL strings are made using nickel-plated wrap wire. Nickel provides great overall tone and sound, and has been the best-selling type of electric guitar string over the last 50 years.
- D'Addario XLS guitar strings are made with a stainless steel wrap wire. Stainless steel provides a brighter, more cutting tone. They're generally used on electric instruments, but can be used on acoustic instruments as well. ProSteels bass strings utilize a specialized steel alloy that delivers super bright highs and deep, focused lows for a distinctive piano tone.
- D'Addario Phosphor Bronze acoustic guitar strings are legendary for their full, rich, acoustic tone. Phosphor bronze provides a warm and bright tone. They also produce Phosphor Bronze strings for acoustic bass.
- D'Addario 80/20 Bronze (also referred to as brass) acoustic guitar strings provide a brighter tone. 80/20 Bronze strings have great acoustic clarity coupled with extra-bright, loud tone.