A standard on stages throughout the world for years, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone offers a carefully tailored frequency rise at about 4,000 Hz for smooth as silk vocals that stand out in the mix. Long associated with its unmistakable sound and unsurpassed reliability, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone is widely considered the most popular mic in the world.
Designed for professional vocal use in sound reinforcement and studio recording, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone utilizes a highly effective, built-in, spherical filter that minimizes wind and breath pop noise while the cardioid pickup pattern isolates the main sound source and minimizes unwanted background noise. The tailored vocal response on the SM58 is a legendary tone that has become a world standard.
Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone Features
- Smooth, mid-frequency presence rise for world-famous SM58 Mic sound
- Uniform cardioid pickup pattern isolates the main sound source
- Minimizes background noise
- Pneumatic shock-mount system cuts down handling noise
- Rugged construction for extreme reliability in demanding applications
- Effective, built-in spherical wind and pop filter
- 50 to 15,000 Hz frequency response
- Supplied with break-resistant stand adapter which rotates 180 degrees
- Legendary Shure quality, ruggedness, and reliability
- Includes a mic stand adapter and a zippered storage pouch
When the sound source is less than 1/4 inch from the microphone, the microphone boosts bass frequencies (by 6 to 10 dB at 100 Hz), creating a warmer and richer bass sound than when farther away. This effect, known as proximity effect, happens only in unidirectional dynamic microphones like the Shure SM58 Vocal Mic. The low-frequency roll-off on the SM58 provides greater control, allowing the user to take full advantage of proximity effect.
Rugged construction, a proven shock mount system, and a steel mesh grille ensure that even with rough handling, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone will perform consistently. Outdoors or indoors, singing or speech, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone is the overwhelming choice of professionals worldwide.
Application and Placement
Ideal for close-up vocals, the Shure SM58 Dynamic Microphone can be held in the hand or mounted on a stand. Some of the most common applications and placement techniques are listed in the following table. Keep in mind that microphone technique is largely a matter of personal taste and that there is no one correct
Lead and Backup Vocals
Speech and Spoken Word
- Suggestd Microphone Placement: Lips less than 150 mm (6 in.) away or touching the windscreen, on axis to microphone.
Tone Quality: Robust sound, emphasized bass, maximum isolation from other sources.
- Suggested Microphone Placement: 6 inches) to 2 feet away from mouth, just above nose height.
Tone Quality: Natural sound, reduced bass.
- Suggested Microphone Placement: 8 inches to 2 feet away from mouth, slightly off to one side.
Tone Quality: Natural sound, reduced bass and minimal 'Sss' sounds.
- Suggested Microphone Placement: 3 to 6 feet away.
Tone Quality: Thinner; distant sound; ambience.
The upgraded third-generation Scarlett 2i2 features top-of-the-line preamps plus software allowing musicians to simultaneously record and playback their music. The 2i2 3rd Gen mic preamps have the optional Air setting to reproduce the Air effect of Focusrite’s original ISA mic preamp, giving your vocal and acoustic recordings a brighter and more open sound. An additional feature is independent controlled headphone and monitor outputs.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface Features
- Two of the best performing mic preamps the Scarlett range has ever seen, now with switchable Air mode to give your recordings a brighter and more open sound
- Two high-headroom instrument inputs to plug in your guitar or bass
- Two balanced line inputs, suitable for connecting line-level sources
- High-performance converters enable you to record and mix at up to 24-bit/192kHz
- With our Quick Start tool, it's now easier than ever to get up and running
Equipped with high performance 24-bit/192kHz AD-DA converters, Scarlett guarantees the same professional sound quality throughout the third-generation range.
The high impedance, high-headroom instrument inputs allow you to record guitar or bass without any clipping or unwanted distortion, while Gain Halo metering makes it easy for you to set the input level.
Scarlett 2i2 is designed to stand up to days on the road and connects straight to your Mac® or PC via USB cable, with no external power required. It comes with all the software tools you need to get started, including two comprehensive digital audio workstations: Ableton® Live Lite™ and Pro Tools® First Focusrite Creative Pack. Intuitive enough for beginners yet advanced enough to inspire real creativity with great-sounding effects.
Focusrite have partnered with Splice to give 3rd Gen. interface owners a free 3-month Splice Sounds subscription when setting up a new Splice account. Splice Sounds offers millions of high-quality, royalty-free one-shots, loops, and presets, with new releases daily from your favorite producers, sound designers, and artists. Creators use Splice to make all kinds of music, including chart-topping pop, Grammy-winning albums, underground mixtapes, and cinematic scores.
And as with all Focusrite products, you’ll also benefit from a two-year warranty, award-winning customer support and membership of their Plug-in Collective offering free software downloads and generous discounts.
In The Box
- Ableton Live Lite music making software
- Pro Tools | First Focusrite Creative Pack
- Free 3-month Splice Sounds subscription with new Splice accounts
- Focusrite Red 2 & Red 3 Plug-In Suite
- A choice of 1 of 4 XLN Audio Addictive Keys virtual instruments
- Softube Time & Tone Bundle
- Access to the Focusrite Plug-in Collective
CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
- Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen.
- 1 x USB cable (Type C-A)
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.